Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Canned Chili

Re: Canned Chili

Pat, I'm jealous. I NEED to lose 40 or 50 pounds, but haven't.

I've tasted Chili Bowl brand. As I recall, it was very good. (That was years ago.)

Pat, as an Oklahomonian, aren't you going to "weigh in" on the merits of Chili Bowl?

Bird, I was in the 250-260 category and am now at or just below 210. I picked a goal with no particular connection to reality. I picked 200 lbs. While at the doctor's for results of a blood test due to taking anti-cholesterol meds I was at 220 and said I wanted to get to 200. The doc did some hasty calcs with pencil and paper and said 208 would be fine. Hardly enough difference percentage wise to matter.

I don't really care all that much if I make 200 or not. I will find a weight I can maintain more or less with out a big struggle and won't worry if that is 190 or 225.

I am pretty active physically and that helps. Several months ago I stopped eating a regular breakfast. I get the LARGE economy size SlimFast brand powder containers. A glass of milk and a scoop of the powder makes a good tasting chocolate shake. I added a banana to the recipe and do it in a blender. I make 4-5 servings (4 bananas) at a time and keep it in the frige. I use nonfat powdered milk for convenience. I also add some Wally world fiber (unflavored type same as Metamusil) to the "shake." I have this nearly every morning. I eat breakfast out every month or so, a real treat.

There is lots of protein in the shake and it keeps me from getting hungry for 3-4 hours. I typically drink 2/3 to 3/4 of the glass and keep the rest in reserve for getting hungry too far from lunch. I have a bowl of soup and a piece of fruit or two for lunch. Supper is pretty normal and includes dessert like chocolate cake, a banana split, of several graham crackers with peanut butter.

My wife's sister, and BIL were encouraged to try it because of my reports and he is down 10-15 lbs in 6 weeks. I'm a couple inches taller than him and 10-15 lbs lighter (but have been at it longer.) They arrived here yesterday and will be sharing my shake recipe... and then later we hit Bob's BBQ in Ada for BBQ and catfish.

Give it a try, Bird. It won't hurt you and you will feel better, have more energy, and may have to spend a few bucks on clothes. I have a closet full of XXL and a few XXXL shirts and such which are mostly still OK (some will be cut down.) Virtually all my pants look like a drawstring bag on me. I have just a very few that are not comically unsightly. I'm going to have to get a couple pairs of jeans to fit me while waiting to see where I end up. Jeans are just to hard to cut down but my slacks can be taken in (if there is sufficient room between the back pockets to allow it.)

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, you said you're 10 lbs. lighter than when you graduated from high school. Well, I didn't weigh much more than 150 lbs. when I graduated and I drank milk, ate ice cream, etc. in an effort to get up to 175. And when I took the physical for the police department in 1964, I weighed 178 lbs. and I was less than a quarter inch short of 6' tall. But in those days, our police academy had almost no physical training or exercise, so sitting in a classroom for 13 weeks, I gained almost 20 pounds. Once out of the academy I very gradually lost weight, but my waist stayed the same for many many years; 35 inches. And when I had to take another physical for the FBI National Academy in 1986, once again I weighed 178 lbs. But unfortunately, the last 6 years being back in town, getting little exercise, and quitting smoking almost 3 years ago, and I'm up to 235. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Well, we went to Sam's Club this afternoon and they do have the Chili Bowl chili, but only in a 5# plastic can or bucket. I may try it someday when we want a big batch of chili, but that's too much to thaw or heat to put a little chili on my tamales, so I had to just open another can of Hormel's today.

Bird, I got a surprise yesterday. I had been hoping I would get my waist down to 38 (from decades of 42) so finding pants at good prices would be easier. Well, I tried on a pair of 38's... not a good fit, had to buy 36 which is comfortably loose in one brand. Another brand I tried size 36 in would not have let me breathe.

I was 6 ft and 200 lbs at about my sophomore year of HS. Graduated at 6-2 and 220. Was quite active in martial arts at Edmond (then Central State), assistant self defense instructor, etc. I was 220 then as well. but distributed a little differently.

I think I have pretty much arrived at the weight my family doctor said was good, 208, but I will try for 200 and if I make it I will relax a bit and see where I level out and settle for it. Before I started trying to lose weight I was able to bound up the stairs 2 at a time but it is sure easier without the extra 40-50 lbs. It is like taking off a heavy backpack and feeling light on my feet.

While shopping yesterday I stocked up with INGREDIENTS: Cilantro, jalepenos, anaheims, tomatillos, big roast to cube and use for meat in my chili WITH BEANS. I like celery in my chili, the way my dad made it. I also like abarotes (carots) in chili sometimes.

Pat

Whew - that is a significant weight loss. Wish I had that type of self control. Since February I've been serious about losing 15 pounds but have maybe managed 5 at the most. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Doctor says I'm fine but there is this waist problem in my eyes. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

At 25 I weighed 125#. Now I come in at 155# but there is a trifle more muscle mass as well. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [as well as 15# of waist that is slowly going]

At the moment a sore back that also affects the balls of my feet severely limit the amount of excesses I get.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, Just hang in there buddy it takes a while to change your habits. I'm definitely not starving BUT I am making changes to what I eat as well as how much. Mostly I have substituted fruit (and once in a while vegies) in place of most junk food. I try to avoid chips and such. Few pretzels. I don't do exercises, per se, but I am active.

Again, I am not starving and my will power, though growing with practice, is not often sorely taxed. Last night we hit a BBQ place and I ate way more than I needed but today...back on the straight and narrow.

Good luck losing a few unwanted pounds. Once yo get your mind set right it isn't too tough. My complaint is that I still have way too much love handles and a jelly belly. From what I read to get to the belly fat effectively I will be having to pump iron or similar. That will not be a permanent thing just to get at the belly.

None of this weight loss activity will interfere with eating large bowls of chili (WITH BEANS, carrots, and celery.)

Pat

Yuk, yuk and more yuk! I've tried them all too and I can't find one that I like either. The one that I can tolerate on hot dogs is Bush's Chili (you know from Bush's baked bean people). I wouldn't eat it in a bowl with crackers, only as a topper for hot dogs. I'm very picky when it comes to chili.
    I love Wendy's chili too!

I use Bush's best for chili dogs. I guess you just have to spice up canned chili a bit to make it taste like homemade. It is just a matter of adding some spices and flavorings to me. I do not know about you but it is good enough for me.