Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pat in OK - OK in OK?

Pat in OK - OK in OK?

Pat, just wondered if you used your "safe" room yesterday? How close are you to Lone Grove? Generator up and running?

Re: Pat in OK - OK in OK?

Pat? PAT?

Send in the search cows!

I'm hoping that Pat is just cleaning up wind damaged trees and branches and he's OK but just too busy to sit in front of a computer

I'm going to guess that Pat lives about 65-70 miles north of Lone Grove, OK, and I'm about 80-85 miles south of Lone Grove. I got nearly an inch of rain and I don't think Pat even got that. At least the National Weather Service shows that area to have had some winds up to 38 mph. But of course things like tornados can be highly localized and not be recorded wherever the official record is made.

Thanks for asking guys. I have been busy and not on computer much last few days.

I honestly did not know were Lone Grove was. We had some T storms and 0.87 inches of rain. No down trees or damage of any kind.

Got propane 2nd stage reg installed today so genset is fueled. Now to wire it to house electrical.

I took a couple days off my regular sort of "ranch or continuing house finish work" work to customize my wife's office's built in cabinets. She wanted vertical dividers between shelves to keep notebooks from falling down when adjacent ones are removed. As she does "THE BOOKS" here at G-Star Ranch Intergalactic Headquarters (35+ years as budget analyst), I like to keep her happy. I made 14 dividers out of cabinet grade 1/4 inch ply, stained them, coated with Cab Acrylic and installed. With help it was a two day project. Non adjustable dividers were over $20 each (needed 9 sets) and adjustable ones (not as nice as what I made from cabinet grade 1/4 inch ply) are $60+ each.

Nine sets cost me $160 in assistant labor, a few bucks worth of stain and acrylic, and about half a sheet of left over ply. Wife likes the results very much and I saved a few bucks.

Oh, yeah, we had quite a light show but thunder was not very loud so not much of the lightning was very close. No power outage. Our county had a tornado watch (not a warning) but 2 adjacent counties (only a mile or so away did not. That tells me the other end of the county was where the interest was, not where we are.

I slept very well in my safe room/master suite. So far we have never retreated to it for shelter. Before we moved in we stayed with my mom. I had built her a safe room. We went to it on two occasions when the three closest little communities were named in the NOAA weather radio broadcast as areas were folks needed to take shelter immediately.

Again, thanks for thinking about me. All is very well.

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Google Earth and those sticky pins you can tack on are kinda neat! Keep it all in perspective. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Lone Grove is not a particularly well known place. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] But since I was born about 10 miles east of it, and was 10 years old when we moved about 18 miles northwest of it, I've been through there more than a few times. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Finally my curiosity got the better of me and I used MapQuest.

I am about 80 miles from Lone Grove (about an hour and a half predicted driving time.)

We have often intended to visit the town of and museum for Gene Autry. Hope to do it real soon. Gene Autry is quite close to Lone Grove.

Pat

You're a little farther from Lone Grove than I thought, Pat. And I haven't been to the Gene Autry Museum, not even to the little community of Gene Autry in over 50 years. And the Gene Autry Coliseum in Ardmore was re-named the Hardy Murphy Coliseum quite a few years ago. I haven't been in it in more than 50 years, but on the outside, it still looks the same as when I was kid in the 4-H, showed Berkshire hogs there, and went to rodeos there.

And the last place I lived in Ardmore, about 59 years ago, is exactly where I-35 crosses West Broadway St. Of course it does look a little different now.

Bird, There is change and then there is progress. All too often the former is confused by the unknowing as the latter.

It won't be long till it will be nearly impossible to find a "just regular person" who has a clue who Gene Autry was or why there would be a museum.. I'm not sure Roy Rodgers and Dale Evans will fare better.

Overheard at the Cowboy Hall of Fame and Western Heritage Museum, "Duke who? What country was he from?"

Pat