Thread: Poverty Chocolate Cake

Hybrid View

Poverty Chocolate Cake

This recipe was apparently used alot during the "other" depression. I have made it a few times and it is the best scratch chocolate cake that I have run across.

Poverty Chocolate Cake

3 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 cups sugar
    2/3 cup cocoa
    1 cup oil
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    1 egg beaten
    2 cups water
    2 Tablespoons white vinegar

Mix all dry ingredients, add egg, vanilla, oil, and water. Beat well. Add vinegar, beat well. Pour batter into greased and floured 9X13 pan; bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Be careful as this cake will fall if you don稚 watch it.

Make a (runny) water/milk/powdered sugar glaze and poke holes in the semi-hot finished cake and pour glaze over cake to soak in.
    2008 F-250 V-10 Loaded
    2007 Lincoln LT grocery getter
    2007 Kubota RTV 900
    1996 Ford Bronco

Re: Poverty Chocolate Cake

Pappy, Thanks for posting the recipe. I printed it off for my chief cake baker.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Poverty Chocolate Cake

That recipe sounds good, but like a lot of folks, we haven't baked a cake in a long time except for boxes of cake mixes. And one of the cheapest mixes (Pillsbury Funtastic) is also my favorite for taste, texture, and moisture.

This cake sounds really good. I think I might have all the ingredients already in my cupboard. When I was reading about the glaze, vanilla ice cream popped into my head. YUM! I can already taste the warm cake with vanilla ice cream on top.

This does sound good and I am pretty sure I have everything but vanilla. Guess I'll be running to the store tonight after all...it's just as well I didn't have any vanilla ice cream either!