Thread: Candlemaking

Candlemaking

Does anyone have any hints, tips, or ideas for candlemaking? I recently purchased a candlemaking business, and I'm interested in getting started. Also, I want to try to make real Bayberry candles, growing the shrubs on my property. Anyone have any experience with this???
    Goose the dragon, and you're toast.

Re: Candlemaking

I have done sand cast candles as well as molded candles using traditional metal molds. I have used styrene beads, stearic acid, various essential oils and scents but haven't tried dong anything with bayberries.

I built a portable thermostatically controlled hot water heated candle dipping vat with several containers for melted wax in various colors. This was for making multi-layered/multi-colored candles for candle carving where you use a hot knife to make some rather exotic and or frilly designs. I delivered this candle dipping apparatus to the MayCo in Beverly hills and set it up but was not otherwise involved with that concession or carving of candles.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I used to make homemade soy candles and sell them at local flea markets. They are virtually easy to make, burn so much cleaner, and smell wonderful. You can find the instructions on how to make them easily just by searching for it on the Internet.

I have made the candles where you buy the wax at the craft store. I would love to learn how to make the soy candles because they are better for the environment. Where do you get the stuff to make them hickchick?

This is one craft I always wanted to try. What scents or herbs have you tried? Vanilla candles always have such a pleasant aroma. Any suggestions for a beginner? I see that some candles are now made from Soy. What do you recommend?

Soy candles burn very clean, they also hold their scent well. Start with simple fragrances first like vanilla, or fruit scents like strawberry, raspberry or cherry.

This is something that I always imagined would be difficult - but this thread has inspired me. Like others here the idea of soy candles attracts me.

We have been taking 100% Bees Wax for a local Mennonite and making Hand Dipped Candles. use a double boiler on low heat to melt the wax, take a piece of 21" wick fold it over with a nut tied on the end, and dip away.Let the candle cool in between dips.we sell these here at local craft shows.