Thread: Bat Houses

Bat Houses

I just purchased one of these off E-Bay. I am hoping it will help keep the mosquito population down around my pool. I have read that bats eat their weight in insects every day. I sure hope they take a liking to wasps and horseflies.

Anyone know if these houses actually work?
    *** What we've got here is failure to communicate ***

Re: Bat Houses

They will work but you absolutely must get them hung in the right spot. Do a google search and you will get some tips. If you can attract the bats you will really benefit. Good luck!

Way to go Eric! I'm so glad you chose bats over purple martins which are constantly hyped as super mosquito controllers. The university study I read reported that purple martins did not eat mosquitoes but did have a preference for dragon flies which would have eaten mosquitoes. The martin myth is perpetuated through ignorance and the desire to sell purple martin apartment houses.

I hope you establish a colony of bats and have a reduced mosquito population.

Oh by the way... There is a publication that I am subscribed to entitled "Outdoor Oklahoma" and one of the things they sell in their little product sales section in the back of an issue besides hats, bird books, etc is BAT HOUSES.

Pat

P.S. I'm still not out of pipe yet.
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

For years now I have had intentions of spending some cold winter evenings downstairs constructing bat houses, wood duck boxes, butterfly houses and swallow boxes.

Time, materials, tools are all readily available. Winter ambition always seems to be lacking or maybe it followed the sun south and left a husk of a body up here in the Northern Winterlands? [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    Alas the projects all seem to remain in the intention stage. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Egon

Hey Egon, we built duck houses and now get wood ducks every year. I've never had a bat move into any of the bat houses dag nabbit but it's rewarding nevertheless. I hope you get the time to do some up.

It's not a matter of time; I've got lots of that, it's a matter of initiative and a back that works ! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

That is what is required! [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Bats I got. I think they are Mexican fruit bats not sure. they migrate back and forth between here and Mexico. They live in the abandoned mine shafts. If you want em all you got to do is hang out a hummingbird feeder and wait for dark. The hummingbird fanatics hate em cause they drink all hummer food.