Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lava rocks for landscaping

Re: Lava rocks for landscaping

Never heard of it so I Googled it. I don't think it is what I would want for large expanses of ground cover. It looks too artificial even if you use the various sizes available.

Crushed lava comes in a variety of colors to choose from among as well as whatever mix of sizes you want. You can place lava boulders and then blend in bowling ball size lava rocks on down to gravel for an attractive look. I'm talking thousands of sq ft of coverage not just a small planter or two.

I want to put in some blue carpet juniper as well and it looks good creeping over crushed lava.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

If you haven't already, try these people in OK city.
    Seems to me they are qualified and may be able to suggest a superior alternative that is more cost effective.
    http://www.minickmaterials.com/index.htm
    It depends on how much you want and are willing to buy to meet your needs.

I am in communications with Minick Materials but extracting information is not easy for some reason. They seem to not want to divulge prices till you are more committed to the size of a shipment. The quantity ordered is dependent on price so we continue to dance about trying to get the other guy to show a card or two.

I will get some straight answers or look for other sources.

Pat

Your not in good position to negotiate....maybe this will help.
    Better buy before fuel prices go through the roof again.
    http://www.coloradolava.com/

I'm N O T trying to negotiate price, I'm just trying to negotiate with them to learn the prices and it seems way too hard to get the info. How can I make an informed decision if they won't give me a price? They mention product, I show an interest in the approx prices vs sizes of say native boulders but after three requests I still have no idea whatsoever what a given weight or size would cost, even a +/- 20-30% estimate. I'd love to buy some at the right price but with no price info at all on boulders I don't think it is prudent to order any.

They gave me a pretty low price on crushed red lava but worded their message ambiguously so I don't know if they were quoting shipping cost or total cost including material. I would commit to a min of two full truck loads and maybe need a third if I knew the total price was what was quoted not just trucking charges.

Thanks for the second source I will look into that.

I had thought of developing a lead out west and finding a trucker looking for a backhaul to make some $ on the way back through here headed east. I'm not all that far from OKC (I-35 and I-40 intersection is about 50 miles.

Pat

Their website has a contact email. Send them an email as if your were a GC (general contractor) trying to put together a quote using a quantity similar or larger than you need. Ask them to quote it with no shipping as you will be sending a 14 yard truck. Be sure and give them dates and times that you will be needing material. If they don't respond you probably don't want to do business with them anyway. Their number (price) will serve as a benchmark, it will give you a good idea of your cost at any rate.
    I guess lava rock is pretty light weight, so you may be able to get a decent price from Colorado, if you buy a large quantity.
    Maybe when your neighbors see what you've done you can sell them what's left of the pile, seeing how it's so hard to acquire in those parts. I understand it makes better mulch (keeps the ground cooler and more moist than wood) than wood chips, and doesn't attract as many pests.

Well, In addition to lava boulders and crushed lava I wanted some native red sandstone boulders too. A friend's nephew just hired a dozer to clean up 40 acres he bought and they discovered serious quantities of rocks at or near the surface. I took my little 'bota and dump trailer over and got 5 loads (so far) and will go back today with bucket instead of pallet forks to get some small ones. There are 5-6 or more I can't lift with the FEL but will devise a plan to get them on the trailer.

Here is a picture of one of the larger rocks holding my tractor on three wheels due to FEL overload. I couldn't lift it any higher and had to leave it behind. If the trailer was empty I could have loaded that rock.

Pat

Here I am dumping the 4th (last) load of the day (my birthday.) The last load was generally smaller rocks. Many of the first three loads were right at the max I could lift with the FEL. Now to go back with the bucket to get a load or two of smaller ones and then to figure a way to load the ones I can't lift.

I might winch them up the ramp or some such. Maybe a half day rental of something to pick them up. Timbers and gin pole plus winch to lift them into the air and back the trailer under them. We'll see.

Pat

Looks like you had a rockin birthday [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Those are some nice rocks, they look huge. One could do a lot with all of those.
    Post some pictures of the finished project with something to scale it with.
    Be careful
    RB

Some folks have to spend a lot of time and effort to get rid of the rocks on their place and other folks spend just as much time and effort huntin' rocks to move onto their place. I still say humans are the dumbest critters on Earth. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]