Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baled Badger

Re: Baled Badger

Not to skip subjects, But River Otters was another rare critter that I'd never seen till a GREAT RAINY PERIOD, ya'll remember those times "DON'T YOU!" brought some out of the river bottoms of the BIG THICKET area of TeJas. I've seen several now!

Yep, I've never seen any kind of otters outside zoos except in Canada and Alaska.

Bird, In the more (human) populated ares of their range they are not treated too well and are often shot at or otherwise made unwelcome. The resident populations sharing range with humans in higher densities are more reclusive if not more nocturnal and tend to not be noticed even when present.

The roadkill population density estimation method may not apply very well to them. Coons, possum, armadillos and such can have their resident populations estimated by the frequency and number of roadkill. This even works with some owls in additioin to deer and some snakes but for whatever reason badger seem to be underrepresented by roadkill. I don't know why. A good question for the state dept of wildlife or the state biologist.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Thinking about the river otters reminded me of when we spent the night (6-5-90) in a "do it yourself" campground along the Liard River about half a day's drive south of Watson Lake enroute to Alaska. I don't know how many of you have every actually seen a real whirlpool, but it was an awsome sight. Really big trees would come floating down the river and that whirlpool would stand them upright and suck them right down out of sight. Never even in movies and such have I seen such an awsome display of water power. And the next morning, I was standing out there drinking a cup of coffee and an otter came swimming around the edge of that whirlpool. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] It was absolutely astounding. I wouldn't have believed a fish or anything else could survive there.

2 things boys, I was watchin cable TV this AM & a show called EI had a segment on these people that raised 3 badgers & took them to Alaska for some rec time! Pretty interesting & this couple have 5 badgers now & other thing BIRD, ALASKA is about the most wonderUS place I've ever been to! Man that place is something! Wish I was a snowbird!

If I had plenty of money, I just might live in Seward, AK, in June, July, and August. I do like fishing the Resurrecton Bay area.

Bird, the Buffalo river in Arkansas is a natural set aside river, no flood control. I have done white water canoe there (with my wife.) The last time we did it we spent the entire day on the river and then in the evening went to my wife's cousin's house (she and her husband are both rangers there.) The next morning after a little (not all that much) overnight rain the husband ranger takes us down by the river to see it.

It is up over 25 feet and whole cottonwood trees over 3 ft in diameter are tumbling end over end down the river. Pretty impressive, especially considering it was where we were "playing" in the white water less than 12 hrs before.

Pat

Pat, I've never done any white water canoeing or rafting, although I did get caught out on Lake Ray Hubbard once and had a long rough trip in my 17' canoe in the white caps and wind. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I think along either the Buffalo River or the White River in Arkansas would be a good place to live, but I've only passed through that part of the country a few times. Other than stopping for the night in Arkansas as we were passing through, we did spend a week once at Dogpatch USA, south of Harrison, and a week once at Hot Springs.

My wife's cousin lived near Bald Jesse Flat which is near Yellville, Not too far east of Harrison.

The Buffalo river is quite an experience. When there is excess water it is too wild for anyone lacking a very determined death wish. Then it is dry it is a series of disconnected pools. The "Goldilocks" situation is when you have a series of pools and drops and no portage required. You drift along on the lazy current through the pools and at the lower ends you accelerate to light speed hit standing waves go over small waterfalls etc. Quite thrilling... then the whole thing repeats at the next pool.

Pat

Gee thanks for the PM threatening to turn me in to PETA!! I really needed that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe baling IS ethical treatment of badgers...

Pat

What do they think when they eat steaks??? The cow died a natural death...... Or the Lobsters boiled alive??? Oh well.. Nice looking bales.........