Thread: sycamore

sycamore

Does anyone know if logging companies buy sycamore trees
    or are these trees of no value?

Re: sycamore

I don't know whether logging companies would want them or not, but I would think not. They have a twist grain instead of a straight grain. I'll neve forget the first time I used a big one for firewood. I drove a splitting wedge into a large piece and it was like driving a small nail in a 2 x 4; didn't split at all. I had to leave that stuff out in the weather for over 2 years before I was able to split it.

I've known some loggers. I've never known of them wanting Sycamore trees, probably for the reason Bird talked about. I think about the only things they are good for is to plant in damp areas and for firewood. I'm not sure they're even that good for firewood.

It burns good .... if it is dry enough. You can tell if it is dry enough by trying to split it. If it splits, it is dry enough.... Have fun and stay safe....

It's fine ..sold lots of it for firewood

Fine. Now if you could just figure out something to do with the leaves. The one in my neighbor's yard seems to cover my whole acre with leaves as big as a dish towel.