Thread: Help with Haying Lease Terms

Help with Haying Lease Terms

I was wondering if anyone has any opinion or knowledge of haying leases. I have property in the Catskills, Worcester located New York State the parcel has aprox. 40 acres of fields which has been hayed up to last year but I currently need to find a new person. I would like to understand the terms which go into a sharecropping lease for haying. I am looking to generate revenue from this venture but want to be fair and more importantly not ignorant. The hay is from an older planting and in my opinion it would most likely be used as bedding but again I could be wrong maybe feed also.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you..

Re: Help with Haying Lease Terms

There is no end to the possibililties, maybe why you want help starting to fill out the blank piece of paper.

Last year I paid $20/bale to have mine cut, turned, and baled. It could be sold for $25-35/bale or more depending on conditions and the quality. I have seen baled weeds and sticks go for $80 when hay was hard to find. You might elect to hire it baled and sell the hay.

What your grass production is worth is hard to estimate with no facts. What species, how much of each, how does the hay test? What % protein, what is TDN, and so on and so forth.

Typically you can borrow a sampler probe from the county extension agent, pull some samples and have them analyzed. This will give you a handle on quality. Often, hay is sold by quantity but knowledgeable buyers want to know the quality too. You can't know the economic/nutritional value of the hay you produce if you only go by a bale count and an estimated wt per bale.

Here it might be fair to lease fields of prairie grass (native grass, unfertilized) for $10-15/acre/yr but more for good fertilized Bermuda. Your productivity (tons per acre) may be significantly more than our's and so be worth significantly more per acre.

There is a tremendous variation in fair prices depending on many factors, none of which you have placed in evidence. Basically you are asking how high is up and how long is a a roll of string. More details are required for anyone to begin to give a decent answer besides, "it varies."

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Thank you for your response.

I realize it was a vague question and I have a small learning curve ahead. I am trying to decide if I will be able to generate income from the hay or just make sure it is cut and clear fields are maintained.

Pat, your response was insightful and I look forward to anyone else who has input.

I know folks who let others mow/bale their fields just to keep the fields in condition, reduce wildfire danger, etc. If the value of your "hay crop" is high enough then you should be able to make a little $. Otherwise be happy to get the fields mowed for free.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"