Thread: field drainage

field drainage

I have a small field just cleared (once was a cow pasture) which is on a slope and the bottom is quite wet, and adjacent to what is now a small swamp which has a small stream emerging on the downhill side.

What would be the most cost efficient way to dry it up a bit. I am in conflict with my sibling who wants to go the whole nine yards, trench, put in drainage piping...and of course pay someone to do it. I'm more conservative money-wise and say, whoa!, trench maybe, perhaps more soil on top (area is about 50 yds by 20 yds) but stop spending. The guys are current here to get the little stumps out, and grade it.
    Help!
    Sincerely
    Patty [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: field drainage

Just from the description it is impossible to advise. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

But I'd advise you to wait a bit and see what happens. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: field drainage

One thing for certain is that water runs downhill. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] As Egon said, one can't really tell from "here" what your "most cost-effective" solution is. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Whatever you do, remember that the water has to go somewhere, so if you regrade, you may just move it to another spot that you don't want.