Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas Grill Struggle

Re: Gas Grill Struggle

uh oh -- think I just better go mind my own business but maybe one of the commercial outdoor broilers?? in an covered outdoor kitchen type area?? [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Seems I can recall from my youth that some places used to have a summer kitchen building. Similarily an outside year round barbecuing area would be nice! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

We don't have a sumer kitchen per se but my house design has an auxiliary kitchen in the walk-out basement which I included to support backyard cookouts (and other options.) Instead of running up and down the stairs a jillion times there is a small gas range in the basement's kitchen as well as a chest freezer (coming soon a larger upright) and a side by side freezer/frige. The plumbing is partially done (hot and cold water pipes stubbed out on the patio) for a patio sink. The concrete floor of the main floor rear porch is a roof over the basement back porch. It is over 10 ft wide. The patio (now) extends several feet past the roof. Even a reasonable rain should not stop a patio cookout. The grill is on 4 nice lockable castors and can be used under the roof of the patio or out in the open depending on weather and desire.

There is sufficient slope to the patio slab to drain quite a downpour and not have it back up under the covered area. I have a feature not seen in many patios (I never saw it before), a flower bed (rectangular hole in slab with radiused corners with cat tails and horse tail ferns growing (volunteer, not planted.) This miniature wetland is due to ground water on the downhill side of my extensive French drain system which surrounds the basement both just inside the stem wall and outside too. I thought it of sufficient curiosity to warrant preserving it when the portion of the patio beyond the porch ceiling was poured.

Egon, Give me a few hours warning and I will grill you a steak so big you'll find it hard to eat in one setting and so tender and tasty that you will want to try.

Pat

"I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Well darned, here I'm so far behind again I thought I was leading! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

That steak sounds good but a much smaller portion would keep me very happy. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Perhaps one day! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Forgot; add some evening scented night stocks to the flower bed.

My initial plan was to just have cat tails and horse tail fern, both wetland plants that came up volunteer in the area of the patio due to ground water leaking into the excavated area we dug to get a walkout basement and a slope away from the house to the back yard ponds.

A nice night blooming jasmine, like I had in San Diego, would be a treat but I'm not sure they would do well with constantly wet feet.

Can you recommend a wet location plant that is pleasantly aromatic?

I'm not even sure if the night blooming jasmine is good for our climate zone. If it is or if there is cultivar that is I could plant it in a raised bed to the side of the patio and that would ease the wet feet problem.

Pat

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Can you recommend a wet location plant that is pleasantly aromatic?

[/ QUOTE ]

No I can't.

Egon, Not only have I not found a wet location plant that is pleasantly aromatic, I looked up the needs of a night blooming jasmine and it would not survive our winters. It would have to be brought inside to escape the cold and I'm not that dedicated to flower gardening.

Pat

Perhaps the Evening scented Nightstalks could work in pot with hole in the bottom and partially buried?? They are an annual but may reseed.

I'm not familiar with "Evening scented Nightstalks" and Google didn't help. If you still refer to night blooming jasmine then partially burying the pot will not save the plant from our cold weather. We actually see 0 degrees F briefly overnight lots of winters.

If it was your intent to make it easier to bring the plants indoors, thanks for the suggestion but...

Night blooming jasmine gets several feet high in good conditions and makes a woody shrub like plant. I don't want to have to take them in and put them back out every year.

My cabinet maker has banana plants that bear little bananas at his house 14 miles from here. He takes them in for the winter and puts them back out in late spring. They get 6-8 ft tall. The growing season is just a bit short to get ripe bananas but it does make small green bananas. They look great along side his house and along the sidewalk. Not for me.

Pat

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Here is a site.

http://www.lonniesbulkseeds.com/Annu...ntedstock.html