Thread: Door Won't Stay Open

Door Won\'t Stay Open

When we bought this place about three and a half years ago, the hinges on one bathroom door squeaked. A little shot of WD-40 fixed that. But it's never stayed open since then without a door stop. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] It swings almost, but not quite, shut. It stayed open before I fixed the squeak. The door fits into the frame very well, latch works fine, etc. I might be able to adjust a hinge; put a shim under the bottom and center hinge (3 hinges). It seems that the best solution would be if I could find something just very slightly sticky to put in the hinges. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] It wouldn't take much to get that door to stay in whatever position you leave it, as all the other doors in the house do. So what solutions would you recommend?

Re: Door Won\'t Stay Open

Bird, take out one door hinge pin and bend it slightly. Then put it back in. The little bit of extra Resistance may help.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks, Egon. I hadn't thought about that, but I'll try it. I've done some checking and the problem is obvious; the door frame is not exactly vertical. I put a thin cardboard shim under the middle and bottom hinges, but that wasn't enough.

Sometimes we overlook the obvious, but the bent pin trick seems to have fixed it.