Thread: Now we can really get to work.

Now we can really get to work.

The cattle are all gone!
    You are saying, "OK, Bret has fallen off the manure spreader and hit his head. This is a forum on tools." You're right.
    We had to put cows on our property for 5 years in order to get our Open-space tax valuation. (Most folks call it the "Ag tax exemption". ) Well, the county granted it and now we are converting over to the Wildlife Use valuation. Same tax rate, but now we get to do things to enhance the wildlife on our place. The cows were the tools, but the cows ruined the land. To be fair, it was also the drought of the last 3 years. The cows ate everything, despite generous supplemental feeding. They pulled the trees down and ate them. The place is nearly a desert. We thought this would happen. We called NCRS before we started; thinking we'd get some advice on protecting our land. They were no help.
    Now we have the slow process of getting the land back into shape. But, we are doing what we want now- and hopefully the wildlife we enjoy so much will reward us with their presence. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Now we can really get to work.

Jazz, good luck and have fun converting your land back to "normal". Your comment on enjoying the local wildlife struck a note with me and I am sure others too. That's one thing I enjoy a lot, seeing what will wander up or fly up next. Last Friday I played hooky on Friday afternoon and got a call from a guy in our head office. I was sitting out on my screen porch, it was a glorious sunny day, and a bald eagle had been sitting in a big old pine tree about 100' from my porch. He took off (more like gently lifted off) and swooped through the trees out over the river and I sighed a deep sigh. THIS, I thought, is where I am retiring to in 3 weeks time. Life is good! And again, have fun with your land conversion, sounds like it could be some work! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

Too bad your NRCS isn't more knowledgeable/motivated. Both our NRCS folk and the county extension guys are tops here.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Does that mean you can take of the "Cowboy Boots" now?

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, I can usually translate your writing into something I at least sort of understand but this time I just don't get it...

Pat

Jazz had cows, therefore Jazz was a "cowboy", Cowboys wear cowboy boots. Jazz is now not a Cowboy, therefore Jazz can wear some comfortable work boots and get down to enjoying walking about his acreage! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I got it, Egon. Now I can wear wildlife-boy boots. Hmmm, sounds a little sissy.

Ian, that was a great picture you painted. And I am very jealous that you are retiring so soon now! I hope it's all as good or better.

Pat, yep- that has been a problem here. Our Extension Agent read his weekly report on the radio, and sounded as if he maybe made it through the third grade. OK, that was mean. Maybe he was disabled.

OK Egon. Not all cowboy boots are created equal. Some have walking heels some dogin' heels etc. Some have traditional toes and some are broad like Wellingtons and some are in between. Many people who never get closer to a cow than a big Mac wear western boots, aka cowboy boots.

When I was in high school probably 1/2 or more of the boys from 9th through 12th grade wore boots irrespective of their situation cow wise.

I have over a dozen pair of "cowboy boots" in various styles and conditions. All are wearable. Some are well over 20-25 years old with the newest at about 10 years.

Pat

Hey, I got one pair too. They must be at least thirty years old! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]