Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Kind of Cookstove Do You Use?

Re: What Kind of Cookstove Do You Use?

Pat, you're reminding me of when I worked road construction years ago. We used to wrap sausage, corn, onions, etc. in aluminum foil around mid-morning and put it in the hopper of the paver, up around the edges away from the material conveyor and cover it with asphalt right out of the truck. Many a time the operator would forget we had food in there and activate the clamshell hoppers. Then we had to walk back looking for the shiny spot in the newly paved road and dig out our lunch before the roller operator went over it. Did similar thing by putting lunch on manifolds of the backhoes or bulldozers if we weren't paving.

I guess the point is that heat is heat and certain foods can be cooked a multitude of ways. Although I love microwaves, I still pan fry, grill, bake or stick a hot dog on a stick in the fireplace or over a campfire every now and then. BTW, I agree with you on the gas cooktop and electric oven. Best combination for my money.

Put some clay mud over unshucked corn and put directly in the coals of a campfire. Wrap fish in leaves (careful which leaves), coat with mud and into the coals. Potatoes... ditto. Choose your mud and leaves correctly and there is no off flavor notes. Mud bakes but protects the contents. Break out the food and bon apetite.

Cross country driving and foil wrapped food on and around the engine is a widely known method. IT WORKS!!!

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, way back when I was 12 or 13 years old, I killed a fish, then packe it in clay and put it in the fire; didn't use any leaves. When I cracked open the clay, the fish skin stuck to the clay, so I had nice white skinless fish. That worked quite well.

Well, I broke the glass cooktop on Friday, 5/29/09, and called KitchenAid. The guy there made the appointment for A&E Factory Service to come on 6/2/09. I'd never heard of A&E Factory Service, but it's owned by Sears. In keeping with their usual policies, the technician didn't come to fix the stove, only to "diagnose" the problem, order the part to be delivered directly to me, get paid for the part, and make another appointment to come back to fix it. He made the appointment to come back yesterday between 8 a.m. and noon. The part arrived via UPS Friday, 6/5/09, and someone from A&E called Saturday, 6/6/09, to ask if the part had arrived (it had) and confirmed the appointment of 8 a.m. to noon.

Yesterday, the technician called at 10:30 a.m. to say he had 6 or 7 other calls and it would be 1 to 1:30 p.m. before he could get here. He called back an hour or so later to say it was going to be 2 to 2:30, then he called at 3:15 to say he was on his way and got here at 4 p.m. He was through and gone in 30 minutes.

Now I don't mind tackling most jobs myself if I have either (1) someone to tell me how to do it, or (2) the instruction manual, but since I had neither, I let the pro do it, and sure enough, it's quite simple. Had I known, I could have saved $250 to $300. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Leaves are optional. You don't need to cut off heads or tails or fins, just gut 'em, clay 'em and onto the coals. Nice "clean" clay is a plus, not swampy muck with off flavors.

Clay is not required for ears of unshucked corn either if you like the caramelized dried corn you get with the shucks burning off similar to what you get from the street vendors in Mexico.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"