Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The drought is bad

The drought is bad

This link is not static, so don't view it 6 months from now and ask me what I'm talking about. We are in the dark maroon area. No rain since the beginning of May. Drought Map

Re: The drought is bad

Man if you think it is bad over there come over here to Cochise county. 1.69 in of rain since Jan 1st.

My poor horses got no gras atall they are eaten mesquite trees.

http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/beaudog/2/show.html

Jim, I once spent about 4 days in Wilcox, AZ, and if I remember right, I was told they "normally" got 7" of rain a year; 5 in July. So are you expecting rain next month? [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I figure I've gotten 20.99" so far this calendar year, but it could have been distributed a little better.

Yea Bird we are close. The Monsoon normally starts in the first week of July. So we should start to get some soon. The problem is it just all comes at once. The erosion is terrible.

And if you ain't been to Wilcox lately it is just about a ghost town.

Jim, I didn't know it had gone downhill, sorry to hear that, but I'm not surprised it's changed, since we got there on 12/29/89 in the RV, intending to just stop for the night before going on to Tucson, but we found it interesting enough around there to stay 4 nights, and visit the historic sights and museums, etc. Stout's Cider Mill had some delicious apple pies, in addition to good cider? Aaaah, how things have changed. We were in a nice RV park with full hookups including cable TV for $8 a night. I said something to one of the locals about it looking like it had never rained there and he said I should have been there in July when the water was a foot deep in the downtown streets. It's interesting to tourists to drive along roller coaster roads in the desert, where it appears it's never rained, and seeing all the signs to not drive into water. Or a bridge over a dry creek or river with a sign "No Fishing from Bridge". [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

JazzDad,
    Sorry to hear about the drought in Texas. Up here in Michigan, I drove in to work in a pouring rainstorm this morning. Pond on our rural property is overflowing and the skeeters are bad. These things tend to come in cycles. We get a drought every now and then and being surrounded by the Great Lakes helps but the problem then becomes how to get all that water to where it's needed.

The crazy thing is that the local municipalities who buy their water from the Detroit system have implemented PERMANENT outdoor water usage restrictions, even when there is no shortage. Can't water your lawn between 6-9 AM and only on even-odd days (depending upon your address). Just local politicians on a power trip, I think. Anyway, flash flood warning today and the rivers will be rising over the weekend.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Can't water your lawn between 6-9 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

That's differnt times than we're accustomed to. Dallas (and I think, Denton) prohibit watering with sprinklers between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m., but you can "hand water" anytime. But as far as I know, in my little town (20k population) it's only voluntary conservation.

What a difference a year makes. Although we are needing rain again now, and the pond is not full, everything is green. It was downright depressing last year- everything was brown and gray. Lots of deer were born this year. We are even seeing lots of toads, which is an indicator of the environment in our area. Area farms have made their second hay cutting. A number of the corn fields have already been taken in.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzDad View Post
    What a difference a year makes. Although we are needing rain again now, and the pond is not full, everything is green. It was downright depressing last year- everything was brown and gray. Lots of deer were born this year. We are even seeing lots of toads, which is an indicator of the environment in our area. Area farms have made their second hay cutting. A number of the corn fields have already been taken in.
    Like you said, everything around here is surprisingly green for this time of year. And yesterday, my wife and I were driving out in the country south and west of Denton and I was even a bit surprised by the number of newly baled round bales of hay, and noticed a few fields that had been cut but not yet baled. Hay should be plentiful this year.

I just heard on the news today that in Georgia they are expecting little rainfall this coming winter and we are right now in a mild drought condition. To me it has been raining quite a bit this summer but I know everything is still pretty dry around us.