Thread: Gate latch

Gate latch

I'm about 5/8 of the way through a new gate project and would like some ideas, designs, or photos for an innovative gate latch. This latch will connect two swinging gates (one 40" and one 12'-6" long) together and will probably incorporate a sliding rod or pipe conncetion to the ground to add rigidity. I use this gate everyday so this latch should be easy to operate. I have the capacity and the materials for cutting and welding steel.
    I have several ideas but no sense reinventing the mouse trap. I'm thinking that just about all of us have a gate, so hopefully a few have solved this dilemma at one time or another.
    Attached you will find a drawing of the hinge that I used. I've tested it and it works perfectly on the 12'-6" gate weighing over 100 lbs. So hopefully somebody can make good use of this design again.

Re: Gate latch

Hey Robert, you should check out www.snugcottagehardware.com
    They have a pretty good looking latch that holds two swinging gates as you've described. Go to the Rail Gate Hardware section and you'll see the item. It basically connects the two gates across the top of the gates; you'll need a cane bolt too. Good luck

Over on Tractorbynet.net, you might read the Horseshoe Gate Latch thread and look at the photos of the one by wrouhtn_harv from nearly 5 years ago.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/b...ate-latch.html

Thanks Richard08530
    I probably won't purchase from snugcottage because I would rather fabricate but I got some great ideas there and that's what I was hoping for.
    I saved the site to my favorites.
    You might want to check out Austin Hardware. They have a good website and a great catalogue.
    Thanks again

Thanks Bird,
    I like that Idea. Easy and effective.
    RB