Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: air regulator for craftsman compressor

air regulator for craftsman compressor

The regulator on my older Craftsman compressor has worn out. (May have had some help from someone who borrowed it). I found the model on the Sears parts website, but it says the regulator is obsolete, no recommended replacement. Does anyone have a source for a generic regulator?

Re: air regulator for craftsman compressor

Are you talking about just an adjustable air pressure regulator, or are you talking about the pressure activated switch that turns the compressor on and off? It might help if you provided the model number of the compressor.

The pressure switch is working ok. This compressor has two pressure gauges on it, one for the tank pressure, and one for the line pressure. I need to replace the regulator which is in line with the line gauge. This one works by tightening a knob to increase line pressure, and loosening the knob to reduce line pressure.
    As I said in the original post, per Sears, the regulator is obsolete, no recommended replacement.
    I'm thinking any regulator in the proper range, with 1/4" fittings should work, just don't know where I can get one.
    Here's the specs off the compressor:
    model 919.153110
    1HP, 8 gallon, 120VAC, 60 Hz, 1 phase, 15 amp
    4.5 scfm @ 40 psi
    3.0 scfm @ 90 psi
    100psi maximum

Was hoping someone knew where I could buy a "generic" replacement.

Thanks!

Check out a newer craftsman compressor and see what type of regulator they have. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

I've never had to replace an adjustable pressure regulator, but I've had to take one apart, clean it, and put it back together when it quit working; somcthing you might consider, but I wouldn't expect it to be hard to find a replacement from any place that services air compressors. Even Sears should have some that will work if you live near one of their service centers.

Try McMaster Carr (mcmastercarr.com). Graingers, Probably Northern Tool. Any good industrial supply house. Home Depot probably even has them. Shop Around. A regulator is a regulator is a regulator. As you say, get the right range and port size and plumb it in. I've got one of those same old Craftsman compressors. I got it as a present close to 30 yrs ago. Still running, finally checked the compressor oil last year. Still ok. Had to braze a few rust holes a few years ago. (Gotta remember to drain the tank more frequently).

jml
    Thanks for the reply. I haven't had any luck with local stores, big box or otherwise. I found a few hits for places to buy on-line, but it would be better if I could see the thing before I buy it.

I don't blame you for wanting to see it first. However, I just looked at the manual for my "Industrial Air" by Coleman Powermate compressor and it sure looks as if my regulator would work just fine. At http://www.jackssmallengines.com/index.html they have the regulator, part #019-0167 for $18.61 and if you also needed the gauge for it, part #032-0056, it's another $18.35. Those are Coleman part numbers.

Another thing I forgot to mention. I haven't checked specifically for your model, but all the Craftsman compressors I've seen were made by DeVilbiss so I'll bet they have regulator for that compressor.

Thanks, Bird.
    I'll check it out.
    I've got mine working, there's a small pin that fits down into an orifice which is broken off. I've cobbled a piece together, but I'm not sure how long it's gonna hold together, that's why I'd like to get a replacement.
    Thanks again.