Thread: Storm blew through

Storm blew through

10 days ago, a storm blew through with rain and 75mph winds. Knocked power out to about 100,000 people, 60,000 in Macomb County where I live. Pretty narrow band of damage. Came home from work to the attached.

Hooked up the generator to the transfer switch I had installed, flipped the switches and we had lites and power in just about every room, including cable TV and Internet access. Only inconvenience was I had to jumper a few things (microwave, washer/dryer, dishwaher) that I hadn't considered "emergency" items onto circuits already on the xfer-switch. When I installed the switch, I figured 6 circuits would be enough for emergency power, which it is. But I'm looking at replacing it with a 10-circuit switch to get operational across the board with just about every appliance in the house (except central air)

My 13500w/8000w generator never bogged down and I never saw the 2 meters on the switch go above 1500/2500 (4000w total). Used about 15 galllons of gas over a 48 hrs we were without power. I had paid about $1100 for the generator and acouple of hundred bucks for the switch and miscellaneous electrical items for hookup.

Re: Storm blew through - oops

oops, 1st file attachment try was too big. try again.

Most folks would be pleased to find a nice new looking truck under the Christmas tree! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Storm blew through - Christmas in July?

Pat,
    LOL. Pretty good. That truck has served me well. Actually, I bought it used with 50k on it 5 yrs ago. Had to look all over SE Michigan for a manual transmission. My youngest daughters were about to learn to drive and I insisted that they know how to drive a stick. It was the cleanest used vehicle I'd ever seen. There wasn't even any DUST on the frame rails or in the engine compartment. Well, that was then.

My one daughter put it through a guardrail (not even a scratch on what is a REAL chrome bumper). I've buried it to the axles in mud, loaded it with gravel overflowing, carried bleeding dogs to the vet (bloodstains still on seat), pulled stuck tires off of my backhoe, trailered horses, trucked numerous loads of fencing around my property. In other words, used it as the work truck it was meant to be.

My youngest daughter can barely see over the steering wheel and has named it "Cheryl". I cringe when she calls it that because "Cheryl" does not connote to me the hard-working, tough use it gets. However, since she works at a barn, wrangling horses, mucking stalls, stacking hay, etc. she gently reminds me that girls (meaning her) are tough, too.

The only damage from this latest incident was a slight dent in the roof. Have to look hard to see it. My Stihl MS361 made quick work of the cleanup.(see attached)

Re: Storm blew through - Christmas in July?

Most folks like to hang a little pine tree air freshener from the interior rear view mirror. I guess you wanted the industrial-strength pine scent in your truck.