Thread: Grinding Disc Suggestions

Grinding Disc Suggestions

Any suggestions for grinding discs? I was planning to some serious work on my car starting with the body. What do ya'll use? I have some ideas like this Smith & Arrow I'm really interested in. (http://stores.shop.ebay.com/smith-an...__W0QQ_armrsZ1). It's actually very cheap and has a lot of good feedback from 6000 sales. But if ya'll have any other in mind then that would be great also.

Re: Grinding Disc Suggestions

Don, from your question I wasn't sure if you wanted suggestions for the actual abrasive media or the power tool. I'm guessing power tool but the link didn't post correctly.

I have a few 4 1/2 inch angle grinders and a Milwaukee 7 inch beast. The 4 1/2 ones are a Black and Decker and a couple HF. In the last year I have had two B&D die but neither HF (newer) have problems. The HF aren't as robust but work well for the price. I like to have at least 2-3 around so I don't have to constantly change media. I can have one with a wire brush on it and another with a grinding wheel and a third with a cut off blade and that is sure convenient.

Of course I'm not buying really HD expensive ones except in the case of the Milwaukee 7 inch.

I did find that some models of the Dewalt and the B&D are exactly the same grinder. All seem to be imported from China as was my Dewalt (Dewart?) 13 inch thickness planer with a fairly low MTBF.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Here's the link. You have to leave a space before and after your brackets. http://stores.shop.ebay.com/smith-an...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

I have a 4 1/2" Ryobi that has taken a lot of (ab)use and it's still going strong, I'd buy another one in a minute. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

My grinder usage is primarily of a "blacksmith" nature, so what I do is use TWO DIFFERENT GRINDERS, a 7"Makita and a 5"Milwaukee. Both have a 5/8" threaded spindle. That way, I can use the cast-off discs from the big grinder in the small grinder. I even keep an eye out for piles of used discs in metal shops that I visit and bag as many of them for free as I can. I use those discs in the 5" Milwaukee. I also have a Ryobi that has the smaller threaded spindle that I use for reeely precise work. I also have some sanding disc setups but rarely use one. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    CJDave