Thread: how to lock my barn door?

how to lock my barn door?

My barn is finished [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The only thing left is to lock the door. The opening is 10 ft wide. It has 2 hanging doors which meet in the middle. What is a good,secure way to lock the doors?

thanx

Re: how to lock my barn door?

First, IAW tradition you have to wait for the horse to get out!

Just kidding.

Buy a seriously HD hasp. Attach each of the two parts to one of the doors. For this you want to through bolt and not rely on screws, lags, or nails. If the doors are steel framed then weld the hasp parts to it. If not steel then through bolt the hasp parts with carriage bolts (with the nuts on the inside.) Either double nut the bolts or tack weld the nuts to the bolts.

This leaves nothing on the outside to easily get a grip on for breaking in. If you choose to not lock the doors you can still "pin" the door securely closed against wind, animals, etc by dropping a bolt through the hasp instead of a lock.

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: how to lock my barn door?

If you have a man door in the barn put your hasp on the inside. Also, you do have something at the bottom where your doors come togteher to prevent them from being pulled out or pushed in, don't you?
    AbO 2012