Thread: First Wood DUck

First Wood DUck

This is my first wood duck encounter. Luckily I had just got a Nikon D90 DSLR for my birthday. Although it lets you do just about anything manually to the taking of a picture that you might ever want or need to do, this was a snapshot taken on full automatic, point and shoot mode so to speak.

The color on the water's surface is not stuff on or in the water but is reflections. I wish I had nesting pairs of these colorful guys.

Oh, by the way they sure like flour tortillas.

The only processing I did was to crop out some unwanted space. I did absolutely nothing else to this picture. I don't think you need to enhance a snap of one of these colorful guys.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: First Wood DUck

Here is the wood duck with a tortilla in his bill being pursued to mug him for the tortilla. The pursuer is mallard sized which shows the diminutive stature of the smaller wood duck.

very cool, Pat!

I have a maple tree in my yard that has been the home of wood ducks for a few years now. They make their nest way up at the top of it. As with most birds, the female doesn't look much like the male.

Tod

Tod, you are lucky to have such a beautiful creature as a living yard ornament. We see the occasional painted bunting in our yard, which also is a special treat.

Pat