Thread: Non Electric

Non Electric

I was wondering if anybody on here is living the non-electric life style. I have purchased land in the Great Smoky Mtns and would like to live the non electric lifestyle. I lived like this for about 2 yrs about 30 yrs ago. Just looking for other peoples thoughts and opinions. THANKS [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

buffalohunter

Re: Non Electric

All things in moderation... We leased recreational land in the desert of Baja California near San Felipe (Rancho El Dorado) in a zone that was solar only. Ther was no grid and you had to sign papers giving up your right to band together to petition for a grid intertie at a later date. Solar panels were de rigor. Storage batteries were your friends. Oh, by the way, there was no water available and it was trucked in by yourself or by a commercial water hauler. There were no utilities at all, just your water tank(s) septic system, and solar system. Cell phone was very spotty (needed antenna tower and directional antenna for reliable connection.)

It was great for a vacation get away but not my idea of a full time situation.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Non Electric

If you've bought in the Smokies and are considering a non-electric lifestyle, I assume you have visited Cades Cove. We found it to be a very interesting place, however, we've only been there once and that was in 1973. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I guess I'm spoiled and wouldn't want to live without electricity. Of course we did enjoy short periods in RVs with genertors in places where no other utilities were available.