Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer wandering around our property

Deer wandering around our property

I had no idea these guys were passing through!

Critters on Northspoon Ranch

Re: Deer wandering around our property

What kind of deer was that little short furry one with glowing eyes?

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

So where is the Northspoon Ranch? Deer are quite common in many areas, but yesterday my wife and I were out driving around, had just driven across the dam at Grapevine Lake, around 2 p.m., and about a mile north of the lake, saw two deer; both does and pretty big ones for Texas white tailed deer. Although I knew there were supposed to be some deer in the area, it's the first time I've seen any this close to Dallas/Ft. Worth.

We live in the NE suburbs of Detroit. Not rural anymore by any means, although at one time it was all farmland. Now, there are thousands of homes wherever you look. We board our horse on a little 10 acre farm in the middle of all this suburbia. Farm buildings and riding rings take up most of the acreage. There are about 60 horses boarded at this place and it borders a little drainage ditch (creek) that feeds the Clinton River. Just about any night, you can see deer coming out of the creek area and wandering in the fields back of the farm. Or you'll see them grazing in the local school yards. It's amazing how little "country" they really need. Lots of car-deer accidents this time of year as well. Attached is a pix of a field behind the farm that I occasionally ride in. Seen a few deer beds in it. For some reason, the horses don't like deer and if one walks out of the brush or is just standing there, be ready for a buck or other unexpected movement once the horse sees it. Actually, the horses I know are afraid of anything out of the ordinary. Put a pile of dirt where there wasn't one yesterday and some of them will freak out. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I always kid the girls at the barn about the "sissy" horses and how "real" horses were in battle and not afraid of anything.

Anyway, I do recall landing at DFW a few years back and seeing deer in the fields below on the approach.

Yeah Deer & Horses don't seem to get a long.... I live Less than 40 Miles from downtown HouTex & we have lots of deer, coyotes & a few beavers & otters to my supprise but I think the feral hogs are going to take over even from homo sapien! We ride often in bean & rice fields but seems like de auto will take completely over since bleedin hearts have banned killer market for horses in Texas... Price of grade horses down to almost nothin. Pic is Granddaughter & Ole BlueEyes(hope pic comes throu)..Let's start a thread on killer market on horses on another thread! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Those are good pictures. I have never gotten pictures up so close. Were you using a telescopic lens to get the pictures? My grandmother loved deer. Back in the days of CB radios, her handle was Little Fawn.

Awww!!! I love the picture of the one with his tongue sticking out! My dad has a camera like this and he has a whole folder of pictures that show deer, turkey, and even raccoons. There is one doe there that has only three legs and has twins, she is just precious.

I love where I live. You know the old song by Hank Williams Jr. "A Country Boy Can Survive"? Well that's me. I love the utter isolation of where I live. I see everything from black bear to wildcats. We have bunches of raccoons (unfortunately) and we have a bunch of feral cats (also unfortunately). My wife and I live here by ourselves now as our kids have grown up and moved away.

We have deer coming through for the first time in the 6 years we've been here. They've decided to make their place in my tomato field. They ate some and made bedding out of some. It was kind of cute, destructive and what do I do now. I've posted our Pyrenees need their entrance. Don't think fencing will keep them out. Are they spooked by scarecrows?

The only thing that keeps deer out is a good 8' high fence. Jersey deer can clear a 6' if they're hungry.