Thread: Central Boiler Temp too low

Central Boiler Temp too low

I have just fired up my central boiler for the first time and I cannot get the Water temp past 140. Could it be because I am using trash wood (Poplar tree I cut from the yard)? I am assuming the lack of BTU's in the wood translates to less heat
    in the water. Also the installer had to put in a larger pump but did not open the valve all the way to limit circulation, could that limit heat production in the water. Any suggestions are welcome as I need to figure thisout before the real cold shows up.

Jim

Re: Central Boiler Temp too low

Is your expansion tank full of water?

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Forgot: Do you have a vapor lock in the system? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Less circulation lets the boiler heat the water to a higher temp easier than with more circulation as then heat is removed from the boiler and supplied to the space to be heated.

I have just gone from cooling to heating (maybe not permanently YET but for now and my ground source heat pump is tripping off line with an over pressure fault. Same unit that was working perfectly to cool the place. It is always something!

Where is Dave the magnificent when you need him?

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Are you using a recirculation line on that system? For REASONS WHICH I HAVE NEVER QUITE UNDERSTOOD, you need a line that goes from the hot manifold to the cold manifold to make the system work properly. Some installers put a valve in that line, but some just size the piping in the by-pass line such that just enough recirc can occur. Putting a valve in that line means that the homeowner can dink around with it, and that can cause the system to not work properly. I SUSPECT that your speed through the boiler may be too high for the water to wipe the heat off the plates; it is taking SOME HEAT, but not all of the potential Delta-T is being realized. Examine the system and see if it has a recirculation line, and if so how is the adjustment set? [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Thank you to the members for their suggestions. By slowing the circulation down a bit I was able boost the temperature where I wanted it.

Thank You