Thread: Weird item in city water

Weird item in city water

Was at the barn where I do odd jobs and noticed the laundry tub faucet was dripping pretty bad, actually flowing a small amount. Tried to tighten the faucet handles to no avail. Determined it was the Hot supply leaking so I took apart the faucet figuring it needed a new washer. Well, it was a newer style and didn't utilize a washer, per se, but turning the faucet handle aligned 2 holes, one in the supply line and the other in the handle mechanism to allow water to flow.

Anyway, everything looked fine, but I stuck a finger in the faucet and felt a small piece of something. Grabbed some needle-nose pliers and fished out a lead fishing line weight, you know the kind you crimp on the line. About the size of a large BB. It was keeping the faucet handle from mating with the supply line piece and closing completely.

Now I wonder how a fishing weight could get in the city water supply. This IS a farm that used to be on well water, but it's been on city water for probably over 10 years. I've been the only one who's worked on the water lines recently and I know I didn't put it there.

Our water supply does come from the Great Lakes, so I'm sure there are fishing lures, weights, etc that get sucked in the intakes but I would think the filters would trap that stuff. Any of you water experts seen this before?

Re: Weird item in city water

Believe it or not the water in the average backyard swimming pool is cleaner than most city water.

I will take my well water any day over city stuff. I don't remember where it was but one place i lived it regularly had so much rust in it you could not use it for much.

Re: Weird item in city water

I'm with Jim Brown. Well water is the way to go.

I'm not sure how they filter the water from the Great Lakes, but I would think it simply runs through sand filters. I don't know how the lead sinker got through the sand unless they cleaned them and the lead weight got missed in the process and ended up on the outlet side of the filter.

It could take an item like that years to find it's way through a distribution system.