Thread: Using bentonite as a cat litter

Using bentonite as a cat litter

This acts as a very good clumping cat litter at a very reasonable price. Would appreciate any input or comments on using this product.

Re: Using bentonite as a cat litter

That is as good an alternate use for oil well drilling mud as I can think of except for sealing pond leaks maybe.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Of course, I've heard of it for drilling mud and for sealing ponds and borrow ditches, but never heard of it being used as cat litter.

Bird, I'm surprised you didn't know it was good for putting on the cement floor to take up oil spills.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, I'd heard of using cat litter for Oil-Dri; just never heard of using Oil-Dri for cat litter. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I have never heard of Bentonite. I did a google search on it and it sounds like it has many uses. Where would a person purchase it and would it be less expensive than clumping cat litter?

I have 3 cats in the house and use several pails of cat litter a week, would be great if I could find something that works just as good, but less expensive.

Cat litter is probably a heated clay of which bentonite is a member.

You could dig clay where ever it is found but then you would have to heat it so that you get the same crumbly /hard consistency as cat litter. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Well drillers should have some bags of it as they use it to seal the casing. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Just plain old dirt would also work without the heating.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Well, I drove all over the country side and couldn't find a well driller anywhere.... dang !! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Probably the cheapest and easiest thing I could do is throw the cat's arses outside and let them find their own clay to potty in ! If I had my barn built, they would have all have cozy beds of straw and plenty of fresh warm mouse to eat. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Oh well, the buckets that the cat litter comes in make handy buckets to use around the house.

I just used the bentonite chips to plug a well. It came in 50# bags at about $10/bag. The chips were granules a little larger than cat litter, as I recall, but should work just fine. If you're in the country, you should be able to find a well driller's supply nearby. Of course, in some states (like Texas) "nearby" can be many, many miles. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The cat litter sold as "clumping" in stores is actually bentonite clay.

It's widely used and a good product for cat litter.