Thread: Swine Flu?

Swine Flu?

We are hearing more everyday about this suppose it pandemic - at least the press think it is a pandemic.

We were talking the other day about what we should just in case there gets to be alot more cases. The vaccination is not available in our area for likely up to a month.

What is happening in your area?

Are you doing anything to prepare?

Garth H.
    Aberdeen, SK, Canada

Re: Swine Flu?

Last week was the first death in our county from swine flu. Some of the schools closed, then re-opened. The vaccine has become available for the "high risk" individuals now, although from what I see in the news, there may not even be enough for all in that group who want the shots.

But they say us old folks probably don't need the shots anyway, so we'll just hope their right.

So to answer your question, for us personally, nope, we aren't doing anything.

And welcome to Countrybynet.

After 30 plus years in the military and being forced to take shots for every know thing in the world multiple times I pass.

My doctor tried to get me to take the regular flu stuff and pneumonia shots I told her no way.

My wife and I both get the seasonal flu shots each year as soon as they're available. I've had the flu and know how miserable it is, but I haven't had the flu in over 20 years now with getting the shots each year. And while the swine flu vaccine will probably not be available for us old folks and they think we probably don't need it anyway, I'll certainly get the shot if it becomes readily available.

One of my wife's nieces has a 13 year old daughter, who, after two visits to the doctor, has finally recovered from a rough bout with the swine flu. And we just learned this evening that our 20 year old granddaughter now has the swine flu.

Of course I'm in favor of everyone having the right to decide for himself whether he wants vaccinations or not, but I'll have to admit I don't understand those who reject the available preventive measures and run that rusk. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Bird, there is a lot of ignorance and misinformation regarding swine flu and the vaccine Folks over 60 likely have some immunity from a previous epidemic in the late 50's and if in good health aren't in too bad of a situation.

Ignorance abounds on the swine flu topic and there is lots of worthless wrong info avail.

Unless there are overriding medical circumstances that contraindicate a swine flu vaccination the odds favor getting vaccinated, even us folks over 60.

If folks get their info from reliable sources and act on it intelligently they will get vaccinated if able.

CDC Atlanta and NIH are good sources of info. Some good ole boy bloggin' away on stuff he is not qualified to discuss is a frequent info "source" that does a tremendous disservice to the populace.

No insult or slight intended to anyone with a different view however abysmally wrongheaded they may be.

As regards preparation... We have severely restricted our shopping trips and buy more per trip but less often to avoid contact with crowds. We carry and use hand sanitizer gel in car after exiting a store. We are avoiding public gatherings. We are well stocked in our pantry and if our area becomes a hot spot we will hunker down and go hermit for a while.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I've had the regular and the H1N1 shots. One of the first batch through in our area. Now there is a shortage of vaccine and corresponding confusion on need and order of vaccination. Some areas have deemed "Professional Athletes" high on the need list. [Should mention that there are politicians involved]

As to us Older Folks not having to worry there have been some of us that have passed over with H1N1. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Egon, you may note I said to get the shots if you can even if over 60. I also said lots of over 60 folks have antibodies from a previous flu that went around in late 50's that was similar to today's swine flew. I also mentioned caveat of otherwise being in good health. Most elderly deaths from the flue are in health challenged individuals.

In my opinion getting the vaccination for H1N1 was a real smart move on your part. I would if I could but probably won't be able for quite some time due to availability and distribution restrictions.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

The wife insisted I go. If I hadn't on that day I would not be getting the H1N1 for quite some time. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Five hours I stood in line outside in the wind! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Egon