Thread: Planning to build a barn

Planning to build a barn

I am in the initial stage of planning for putting up a multi-purpose barn structure and welcome comments / suggestions.
    Planning on an 80' x 60' overall dimension. The center will be 40' x 60' clear span, with a 20' x 60' overhang wing along each side and clearance of 17 in the center with 14 at the outer edge of the 20 wings. Orientation will have the 60' length running East/West with the West end (80? closed in. (I am considering reducing the West wall coverage to 60? leaving the end 10 of each wing uncovered.) Most of the weather comes from the West/North so closing the West end with the 20 overhang wing to the North should protected most contents from the weather. Part of each side's 20 overhang wing will be used as livestock area. I intend to put up round bale feed racks that I can fill from inside the center 40 wide clear span area. Storage will also be part of the structure's use with three tractors and various implements.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

Re: Planning to build a barn

Hello LIA, and welcome to CBN.

Whatever you wind up building- it won't be big enough.

Will large livestock will have access to bumping the sides? Bovines are good at denting steel siding.

Re: Planning to build a barn

I DO agree with JazzDad that it probably will seem too small once it's up. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

One thing I'd mention is that with a 17' clear span in the center, you may want to consider laminated columns. I just visited a very large barn addition (100'x240'x18') over the weekend. The 100' width was clear span (riding arena). Engineered columns were built up from (3) 2x8's. So it was effectively a 4.5x7.5" solid column. The bottom portions (below ground) are treated lumber with staggered finger joints to standard lumber above ground. I've seen this on other pole buildings and it seems to be a growing trend. I expect that it would be cost effective, especially for tall buildings such as what you are considering.

Sounds like you'll be doing a lot of tractor maneuvering in the barn, filling feeders, etc. I would be concerned about turning radii in the center area for your tractors since you don't say how big they are. I would lay it out on the ground with stakes and caution tape or string and drive your tractors as you intend to use them. It's better to see if you're going to be bumping into things before you've got posts sunk in the ground. Good luck.