Thread: where is it?

where is it?

Does anyone know where the swich is that makes the dome lignt come on when you open the door on a 1998 Ford f150? Mine must be out of adjustment.Some times the light goes out when you close the door and sometimes it doesn't. Some times the light will come on by itself with nobody even neer the truck. I usually take the fuse out as this has killed the battery befor. I would leave the fuse out but then the 4 wheel drive will not lock in.

Re: where is it?

Often the dome light is controlled by plunger switches mounted on the door frame, sometimes under a flexible cover. I'd call a dealer if I were stumped.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

nope they hid it better than that.

If it doesn't have the plunger type common switch that Pat mentioned, do you see a couple of shiny, probably brass colored contacts; one on the door and the mate on the door post?

Try searching through the forums similar to this one) at http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewt...mp;highlight=. There are lots of posts on this. One of them said <font color="blue"> </font color> "You have some oil on the magnetic plates which connect to turn the lights off thus preventing the connection. The cure is to get some brake cleaner (with the red plastic straw). put the straw in the hole on the door panel(you can remove the plastic cover by squezing the sides) spray the brake cleaner in there throughly and spray the door latch. This should fix your problem. It is what the dealer is instructed to do the first time you bring it in. If this does not fix it you need a new switch. $17 dealer item."
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

Thankyou. I'll get some brake cleaner and try it. It sure is good to know where to look.