Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Firewood

Favorite Firewood

Hi Everyone, I'd like to know what people think is their favorite firewood. I have a few favorites, and a few dislikes. and it all depends of how hot or cold or how long, short you want the fire to burn. For a good long burn, not very hot, I prefer 'locust'. I use this for an overnighter, and usually in the morning there are plenty of hot coals to stir around to get the fire back into shape. (some of you might say locust has lot of sparks, and it does, so keep the woodstove door closed!) Oak, good and dry makes a nice hot fire, great for warming up the cabin. also hickory and hard maple are other good ones. As for dislikes, well cherry . . . especially if its not 100% dry. and basswood.
    Any thoughts on this subject?

Re: Favorite Firewood

We've not had a woodburning stove, but in the fireplace in the past, I've burned a wide variety of whatever wood was handy and didn't cost anything but my time and labor. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I think oak is hard to beat, but worst I ever burned for popping and sparks was old, well dried pecan, and the hottest I ever used was mesquite. I learned, when burning mesquite to not make the fire too big when, 35 years ago, I cooked the mortar out from between the fire bricks in the fireplace. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Black Walnut makes a good fire too. Outside fire pit I like to add a little cedar, for the odor. Mostly I burn oak in our wood stove.

Whatever falls in the woods on my property or gets cut down because it's in the way. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mostly ash, oak, maple, poplar, birch.

As for other dislikes . . . wait until you try to spli a bg sycamore log or stump. That twist in the grain can be tough. The first time I tried to split one with a sledge hammer and wedge, I drove the wedge in, like driving a little nail in a 2 x 4. Two years later I was able to split it and get my wedge back. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I do pretty much as jml755 does; any trees that are dead, dying, or fallen over I cut up and burn in my wood stoves. My favorite firewood is Beech. Good burning qualities, and nice tight clean bark to minimize the mess in the house.

Corm

I agree with Bird, Sycamore is a lot of fun to split [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] It does burn pretty good when dry though.

FREE!
    I call the local landscaper/tree company and tell them if they have logs to get rid of I will take them. No pine and nothing over 36" in diameter it's just too heavy.

Some companies just don't want to sell firewood.

Inside we burn oak only. Outside, anything goes. The outdoor pit gets anything burnable thrown in there...sometimes that includes cardboard boxes and whatever burnable trash we have. The firewood pile for the house is strictly oak though.

My preference is oak and hickory for the good heat output. Maple and birch are winners because they split easy too. No gnarled cherry for me please.