Thread: How about mushrooms?

How about mushrooms?

I read on the internet people cultivating morel mushrooms. Is anyone doing this, or any others, in Texas? I hear the morels are very good. My land is covered in trees and some are fallen and rotting. Do I need a specific tree? I know nothing about mushrooms other than canned ones and I am afraid of getting poisonous ones....

Re: How about mushrooms?

<font color="blue"> </font color> Got me on mushrooms, have seen a few interesting shows on morels &amp; the hunters using pigs to sniff them out but as you I'd be afraid I'd pic the poison one! <font color="blue"> </font color>

Re: How about mushrooms?

I did see a show on mushrooms on TV. Probably the same one you saw. It really piqued my interest. I just dont know which ones grow in the Gulf Coast area. I know toadstools grow well in my yard [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] But, there have to be some tasty and legal ones that grow down here in this humid environment!

You really have to be careful. There are false morels and they are not safe to eat. If you cultivate your own you would be good to go. I love morels or "dry land fish" as they call them in my neck of the woods. They are delicious deep fried in a flour batter or cornmeal batter.

I love to dip my mushrooms in egg batter and then coat them in crushed saltines and deep fry. They are quite tasty. I usually pick wild mushrooms and soak them in salt water for a couple hours to kill any critters that might be hiding.

easier than you think

Hi all
    This is My very first post to site SO HOWDY YeALL' I've been growin shrooms for almost a decade here in S.W.PA - psedo-comercially-- mostly shittake' and maitake' . It simple to do but like growing anything... it takes some work !Basically specific strains of mushrooms gwor on specific "soils" / media.. I choose to grow shittake because of quite a few +++++'s 1) they grow out of oak wood 2) they need alot of fresh water 3) they need temps 60-80 deg.F and shade 4) they don't need that much attention .. comparitivly speaking ... ALL very cheap and easy so far for me ... 5) they are a health food ... high in protean, anti oxidents and they lower colesterol 6) a very good meat subsitute ... 7) as it turns out now and then they make me $$$.
    I've research other strains so I know a good bit and I like most types of mushrooms.if any body is interested...a very good resorce is mushroompeople.com they have steril culture/innoculi
    Ok,so does anybody out there know how to farm a 50 acre ish feild of a crop and know how to keep only the intended crop growing without weeds overgrowing everything help me out ...?
    peace

stAttachment 2449