Thread: Information and suggestions, please?

Information and suggestions, please?

I apologize if this is not the correct forum in which to ask this question, but this is my first post. I live in rural Nova Scotia, Canada, where power cuts are frequent. We have an old Enterprise propane range with pilot lights which is great when the power is off. But I think it has died. Oven thermostat has gone west. And every new propane range I've been able to find has "electronic ignition" which need electricity to light. I think I can light the burners manually, but not the oven. I know they sell pilot light models in the USA, Summit WNM210, for example, but not in Canada. Can anyone recommend a solution? Other than trying to find another old range? Many thanks, Regis

Re: Information and suggestions, please?

WELCOME TO THE BOARD! Well I'm probably useless with anything like a gas range OLD or NEW! Never had one but could YOU fit a igniter from a gas BBQ pit in the stove ! I've replace the igniters in my ole pits before! Keep us posted & now you'll never have a first post here! hehehe

Are you sure those lighters are not powered by batteries as are most grills for outdoor kitchens?

Perhaps they have changed the way these electronic ignitions operate now, but when we were looking at new ranges some time ago the igniters were powered by the AC. I am still pursuing the matter locally, but no one seems to know much about propane ranges. Not even the people who supposedly sell them. As I said, I (think I) can light the burners manually, but not the oven. I will certainly post some answers when I get some more info. Thanks to roho627 & jimbrown for their posts. Regards, Regis

I just bought a new propane gas stove with pilot lights for the burners and oven. I was told, by the dealer, they are popular here in the Ozarks. If you look around you may be able to find one.

I was speaking with a gas company representative today and he said that there is a class of appliances called "Sabbath appliances" that are for certain religious groups who eschew the use of electricity. Among them are gas ranges with pilot lights. I will pursue this further. The repair chappie is coming on Wednesday to have a scrute at my stove, and I have located a few possible replacement thermostat parts from some old stoves. I'll advise further when something is resolved. Thanks to all for suggestions, etc..

Regards, Regis

Hmmnn do not think I have ever seen a stove designed just for propane. I kinda thought they were like most other gas appliances and all you did was install the proper jet for the gas that you are using. Both my furnace and hot water heater work on either one with the proper jet. They both came with a kit to change them over from natural to propane.

The gas company chappie was here and says he thinks he can get a replacement safety valve (which is what has died) for the stove. BTW, papers I found reveal it was made by Enterprise Foundry Company Limited in New Brunswick in 1967(!). He suggested it would be better to repair the old one than buy one of the new ones, no matter the price. He said whatever I bought, and whatever I paid, would not give me the same quality. After all, this one lasted 42 years. I will advise the end results of this little exercise. Thanks to all who responded to my query.
    Regards, Regis

I know this is a very late reply but... Electric ignition stoves usually use commercial power to run the "sparker." The power requirement is quite low and an inverter run from a 12 volt battery would serve the need quite well.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"