Thread: Skunks

Skunks

I was having a discussion with a friend yesterday, means to control these semi ferrel cats I have roaming around that have and continue to scratch up the pickup while climbing on it. He suggested that I use live traps to catch them which I have bought and set out a couple traps today... BUT..!!!! I also have skunks in the area and I'm afraid of trapping them having to deal with a pissed off smelly skunk.

He told me that he had trapped one a while back and had released it in broad day light without any issues...
    Why is it I find it hard to believe this..LOL

Has anyone ever had to deal with a trapped skunk ?

Now before you suggest animal control... I live in a rural county and we don't have animal control, well we do... its called a gun, but I'm trying not to have to deal with skunk spray.

I caught one once in a live trap. I followed these directions and it worked for me.... but maybe I was just lucky !!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8201425AAxvKmF

I slowly walked up to the trap with a large blanket and draped the blanket over the whole trap. I walked away and waited about 1/2 hour or so. I then quietly walked back and gently picked up the cage and carried it out to the woods. There I stood behind the cage and used a stick to pry the spring door open and left it open. I left and went back several hours later and the little stinker was gone. I did everything very slowly and gently... trying to keep the skunk calm.

Good luck!!

Good luck and be aware that rabies is endemic in the skunk population. They are frequently carriers. Not a trifle.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

First they are not from the cat family, they are from the weasels family. I only say this because it may be good to think like the animal.

Do I read this correctly they are climbing on your pickup? Why your pickup?

Is your pickup attracting them? Maybe the solution is much easier then controlling the population.

I maybe missing something here.

I live out in the country and had a similar problem last year with raccoons. I put out a live trap and the next day had a skunk captured. There was no way I was going to try to attempt to put a blanket over it or anything else. I hid behind a tree far enough away so as not to get sprayed and shot it with a .22. Can you set your traps in an area that you could shoot a skunk if necessary?

We used to have one that would come into our barn when we would feed the cats. It would walk in just like it belonged there with the other cats and would eat their cat food. It never caused any trouble or anything and never offered to spray anybody. It really surprised me that it was so calm. It came for about a week like that and then we never saw it again.

All over the USA and plan overseas when I retire
    Trap & shoot is the only way I am aware of either and you could not get me intoxicated enough to try that blanket method. We had a few in the city as well and you always know when the cat got into a fight with one.

Newjerseymike.... The cats were the ones that were destroying my paint job by jumping (scratching) on my vehicle, but that has been resolved with the live trap placed in a area above ground since skunks don't jump. I found that using some of a cheap .50 can of tuna fish is great bait for the live trap

The skunk issue, well that is still on going. If I leave the light on at the back door, it attracts the bugs which in turn attracts the toads which attracts the skunks that eats the toads that eats the bugs. I never smell them, but they do leave cat like turds at the back door, sigh.... As far as trapping them and shooting them... all I have is a 16ga and a .45 which I feel would make a hell of a mess, if you know what I mean.

I know where its den is and I think I should be able to use a trap that can spear it as it walks thru like a mole trap or I found this which I like, but I think I should be able to build something like this.
    Live Animal Trap, Spray Proof Skunk Trap

Also I have a small live trap that I could just as easily line with paneling or Masonite to enclose it.
    This way I could just detach the wood liner and dispose of it just in case..... hmmmmm idea !

Now I see my ground hog has decided to reappear again after I thought I chased it away a few years ago. I kind of like the little critter, think he/she's neat, but I am planning on building a shop right behind the shed where he apparently has made his home... and we all know what kind of damage they can do to ones foundation with their borrowing... So sadly he's gonna have to go as well, but I will NOT kill it. I'll just trap him and move him to a field that isn't being used for anything where he can live his life in peace.