Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upside down hanging tomatoes

We found that they are never great producers. By the way, how did they get ALL of the tomatoes on the vines ripe at the same time in the pictures and on the tv commercials? There is some vodoo going on there. If there is some sacred secret to those things, I'd sure like to hear it.

I've wanted to try one of those upside down plants, more for the novelty than anything else. I'm wary though of their claims of the quantity and size of the tomatoes you get. In order for tomatos to produce to their best potential, don't they prefer a deep soil depth? And depending on the variety, some types have a root system that likes to spread out horizontally. I can't imagine the poor tomatos producing well when their roots are confined to grow all wrapped up.

Well mine are actualy making tomatoes, But , the silly birds found them so as soon as they turn pink they eat em. So I quit watering them.

I'll stick with the old planters I've been using. We had 2 big planters that looked too ugly for the flowers we put in them so I planted tomatoes instead. I had some cages laying around about 4' high. All the tomatoes we can eat and minimal care required. The upside down things are more of a gimmick than anything.