Thread: Pole beans versus bush beans

Pole beans versus bush beans

How many people plant pole beans in their garden? We used to plant the green beans that grew on the bush plant but we switched to the green beans that grew on a vine up the fence. I can't believe how much easier they were to pick and how many more we had to eat. It always seemed like we missed some good beans when they were on the plant (bush) and they would get too big and be no good. They are easier to see on the fence (pole beans) and easier to pick (not back breaking). I can't wait to plant some more pole beans this year.

I can understand them being easier to pick, but I never tried the pole beans myself. I didn't want to go to the trouble of buildint a fence or trellis in my garden, so I just planted blue lake green beans and we always have all we wanted and then some.

We've got a great fence already in our garden (well it surrounds our garden to keep the pests out at night). It just made sense to try them out. I think they are actually different too, they seem to be longer, skinnier beans. I can't wait to plant them again this season and eat them. I love fresh steamed beans.

I like the Chinese Snow Peas. They are very tasty, tender, and sweet to eat raw or eat cooked (pod and all), usually before they fully mature and make filled out peas. The variegated (green and purple) beans are good too but not nearly as nice as the snow peas.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I'll probably plant a few of both. This year will be my first year to try and can and freeze some stuff so I want to make sure we have plenty. We can always share with the family if we end up with too much.

We have planted both in the past, but never at the same time. This year we are trying both - pole and bush - at the same time. I hope the crop is better this year than last as last year was just pole and they were not very tender.......

I bought pole beans by mistake at the store the other day and when I cooked them they were really hard. How are you supposed to cook this type of bean?

i've planted both pole and bush beans. Although pole beans are easier on your back, I find the bush beans to be sweeter I get more beans. Also, the pole beans I grew had that string running down the seam.