Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When you don't agree...

When you don't agree...

My husband has mentioned several times that he'd like to get some chickens. I have no problem with it but I know what will happen - we'll get them and the novelty will wear off and I'll be stuck taking care of them.

What would you do?

Well it would not be a problem around here. Just let em out and the coyotes will eat em.

If I got tired of them, I'd be the one eating them. The coyotes would just be out of luck.

Administrator
    Good one, Bird.

In New York we never had any problems with wildlife getting to the chickens. The only problem was they would just stomp all over their feeders.

They're actually not as much work as you might expect. Just feed and water once a day for a few months, then enjoy several months of organic home grown grilled chicken.
    Muhammad Chishti
    Administrator

All over the USA and plan overseas when I retire
    My husband used to have a pet chicken but right now I am not sure he would want them. We are still doing pretty well with 1 dog and 4 cats. This does not count the kids either who are not of age to help take care of the pets we have now.

I think that's one of the problems is that my husband wants chickens but doesn't want to actually put them in anything! We also have coyotes in our area (thought not heavily) and foxes too. So I know they'd have to be put into some kind of a coop otherwise they'd be gone before the sun comes up!

Wink Chickens

If you select the right type of bird and you learn a little about them, chickens are not a big deal. They can live in the wild in some locations and as they get larger and if you get some roosters, the flock may survive quite well, depending on your conditions. I would consider your neighbors as chickens can fly and will sometimes stray, roosters are a little noisey. If you live in an area with small parcels, he neighbor thing may be your biggest concern. As livestock goes, chickens are fairly easy and inexpensive. Perhaps you should be thankful your husband is not considering goats or pigs.

I would consider your neighbors as chickens can fly and will sometimes stray, roosters are a little noisey. If you live in an area with small parcels, he neighbor thing may be your biggest concern.
    We now live in the city limits, although the town still has quite a bit of "agriculture"; i.e., horses, cattle, sheep, and goats. Shortly after we bought this place about 4.5 years ago, we could hear a rooster crowing. And then one day, a couple of teenage girls showed up at the door to see if we'd sign a petition they'd made up to get the city to allow them to keep their pet rooster. There's a city ordinance that if 2 or more people complain about a dog barking or a rooster crowing, that noise has to stop. As an old farm boy, a rooster crowing wouldn't bother me at all; just like the birds singing in the area, but I guess I can understand the folks who made the kids get rid of their rooster.

Like most things, chickens can be a lot of work if you let them. Our idea was to get a few chicks. Then they needed a coop. Then they needed a yard (as the predators started killing them). Then they flew out of the yard, so they needed a higher fence. Then they ate all the plants in their yard, so we planted grass. Now they need a shelter because they have no shade. The water line and electric run out to the coop was just for our convenience. The chicken litter goes into the mulch pile (that I had to enlarge). Yes, our eggs are FAR superior to the store bought variety, but if you look at the economics-- we probably pay the equivalent of about $1 per egg. (For you Canadians, that's about $7.50.)

Does it matter if you disagree? If he is anything like my husband, he will come home someday with a big surprise for you. You will go outside and there will be a whole bunch of chickens in your yard.