Thread: In the middle of construction

In the middle of construction

We built our house and moved in 5 years ago last month. Now we are in the middle of finishing two bonus rooms upstairs. It's driving me insane. The workers show up late. Or not at all. No one returns phone calls. It's a nightmare trying to find good help. And they say the economy is bad? It must not be that bad since no one seems to want to work!

Administrator
    Every time I've been involved in construction projects, there have been loads of headaches... everything from workers showing up late, not showing up at all, not completing the work on time or on budget... seems to go with the territory, and that's also why the good contractors are expensive and often have more work than they can handle.
    Muhammad Chishti
    Administrator

Another construction day - this time it's the guys mudding the sheet rock. They showed up an hour late. I keep my lips zipped but sometimes I just want to say "Where the heck have you been?!"

As someone who has worked in the construction field (and been on time myself) I can just about guarantee you that will just make them later the next day!

A day or two mudding job ended up being almost a week long. AND they are coming back out today to retouch some spots that look pretty bad. This process is a long one! I'm ready for a vacation and I'm not even doing the work!

My other half is a contractor. I can tell you that sometimes it is not their fault. They may be working more than one job at a time and trying to fit everybody in. Also, when it comes to mudding, it needs to be dried before they can do any sanding or before they can add another coat. I know what you mean though, I live with a contractor and when he tears my house apart, I usually end up with a headache.

From what others have said and what I have learned the hard way through experience unless you have a good project manager the workers will always be falling behind a little bit. Have you attempted to contact the business directly that you hired the workers from?

My husband used to be a full time contractor and I would tease him that he was the only reliable contractor on earth, lol. He would be ready to start at 7am and wouldn't slow down until 5pm. However, he did work around a lot of other contractors who would show up late, leave early, not show up at all, etc, etc. It's kind of sad that the whole industry has this stigma of unreliability hanging over its head. They are not all bad, but they are certainly not all good either.