Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATV's

ATV's

Anyone else love to ride 4-wheelers? Its something that we do a lot of when the weather breaks. We ride all over (we own a ton of land and have many trails). I love it when it's nice out and we can jump on and go visit the neighbors on the 4-wheelers.

Anyone else love to ride?

I have an early 60's air cooled VW bug/dune/beach buggy that has been shortened 14 inches (removed back seat area) and has a fiber glass (Meyers Manx look alike) body and a full roll cage (including the engine.) It was a hoot to roam Baja in it and sometimes caravan with others for trips on the beach of 40 miles (one way.) and is now used in our 160 acres of pastures and woods as well as some road trips as it is highway legal. I have added a removable soft top, removable canvas doors with windows and it is sort of an all weather ride now except it is not perfectly dry at road speed in a rain and there is no heater (even with a standard VW heater it would be like not having a heater.

I have been out on 4 wheelers, 3 wheelers, 4x4 trucks, mountain bikes, and dirt bikes. They are all fun but the Bug-buggy will run our sandy river beds or the dunes in the western part of the state as good or better and is street legal and is dry in the rain (at moderate speeds.)

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Wow, that sounds like a ton of fun. We have a couple of Gators and they are a blast too. We ride all over the place with them. We also have a couple of 4-wheelers, they are both Honda's. We love to be outdoors and we love our toys. We also use the 4-wheelers to move things, plow in the winter, and in the woods.

I hope this doesn't come across as being a party pooper but I not only don't use ATVs, i don't allow others to use them on my property. I have the entire perimeter posted with no trespassing signs anyway, to keep hunters and others out. I'm doing my best to live as green as possible and as organic as possible and I don't feel that burning fossil fuels for recreation to fit in with those goals. Not that I judge anyone else - this is just my familiy's choice. Everyone does what they think is best.

I've always loved stuff like that. I started out on a dirt bike when I was in elementary school and absolutely loved it. I would always pretend I was racing. Now I'm more of an ATV fan. I've got a blue Yamaha YFZ 450 that I love to ride. It'll tear you off the handlebars if you aren't careful with it though!

It's not a party pooper, it's just the way you feel. We have people snowmobiling and riding 4-wheelers on our land. I'm 100% ok with that as long as they ride careful. I wouldn't want to be sued if they got into an accident. To each their own. I love to ride and I want my kids to ride too.

They are fun to ride I admit it, and they can be quite useful too. My only problem with them is that most of the people in my area treat it like a child's toy and let their kids ride unsupervised and without proper training. Two High school kids were killed last summer on them in my town. It happens every year.

It doesn't matter if it's an ATV, motorized scooter, golf cart, motorcycle or automobile, there will be those who do not drive responsibly. My son's best friend is in the hospital this weekend sitting by his father's bedside because his father was on a scooter and tried to pass a golf cart which decided to turn left at the same time. They have given the father a 40% chance of survival at this time.

ATV's How did we get by without them. And they are a joy. I use mine more like a tool than a toy. Love to go on a Sunday round about the woods. That breeze that hits you in the face and feels cooler than the still air. Refreshing. Don't know of a better way to check out the 1110 acres. We do have a problem with poachers and trespassers. We feel that our presence out in the more remote parts lets people know they are being noticed and hopefully will quit trespassing. Of course, those game cameras help there too. Back to the topic. ATV's are wonderful!

I need more yard space for something like this before I could commit to having another. The better half has no issues with it we just do not have the room to run with one yet.