Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lock down

lock down

My son's high school had a practice lock down the other day. He told me about it the day it happened, but I was doing something and not paying 100% attention. I read about it in the paper the next day. It sounded pretty scary. I spoke to him about it after.

Have your children experienced lock downs in their school yet?

I think most schools do these now just like fire drills and tornado drills. I am sure it can be pretty scary though particularly to the younger students.

When I was in elementary school I remember having an actual lock down. It was because a local bank had been robbed and the man who did it had gotten away. I remember being terrified at the time. I think I was in 3rd grade at the time. Now it seems like I hear about a school lock down at least once a week.

It saddens me that our children have to do this. Especially, when you realize lock downs are happening because children are actually going into their own schools and doing the shooting. I have a girl in elementary and a boy going into Kindergarten next year. I can't imagine what it is going to be like when they get into high school.

Yes, they have had these in my daughter's school too. I think it's a great thing to do, but it does make me sad. With all these school shootings popping up around, it's good for the kids to know what they should do if it happens in their schools.
    My mom told me they used to have bomb drills when she was in school. Wow, when I was in school we didn't have anything like either of these, we just had fire drills.

Just the thought of having school lock downs creeps me out. I am familiar about earthquake and fire drills but I have not experienced school lock downs before. I think it is pretty scary even though it is just a practice. Nevertheless, i like the idea of having those drills because students get the chance to know what they should in case it really happens.

They are great at teaching students what to do when an emergency happens.

There was one school that did something horrible though - they had a teacher dress up and they made it seem as if there really was a person there threatening to shoot them even though it was just practice. I can see how that could be traumatic and just horrible.

One nice feature that our local elementary school started doing this year is if an issue occurs at the school they have an automated system that calls the emergency contact numbers on file for each child. So when there was a small fire in a water closet last month we got a phone call about it and knew about it before the kids ever got home from school.

Quote Originally Posted by purplemom View Post
    One nice feature that our local elementary school started doing this year is if an issue occurs at the school they have an automated system that calls the emergency contact numbers on file for each child. So when there was a small fire in a water closet last month we got a phone call about it and knew about it before the kids ever got home from school.
    That's a great idea. The college I went to a few years ago had a program that would text message our phones and let us know that there was an emergency and if we should stay in our classrooms and lock the doors or stay off campus. I think that we will see things like this make our schools safer in the future.

My daughter's school had a lock down recently. I had never heard of one before. She was scared and when I heard about it so was I. You don't like to think that something that violent might happen inyour kid's school. Two police were shot and one teacher was knifed. The worst part was I wasn't allowed to get to her.