Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lock down

Quote Originally Posted by pinkie View Post
    Yes, they have had these in my daughter's school too. I think it's a great thing to do, but it does make me sad. With all these school shootings popping up around, it's good for the kids to know what they should do if it happens in their schools.
    My mom told me they used to have bomb drills when she was in school. Wow, when I was in school we didn't have anything like either of these, we just had fire drills.
    Tornado drills and fire drills were all I had to worry about in school. Unfortunately our kids need to know what to do in these situations which will hopefully never happen. I remember our school used to have mock emergencies. They would have some students positioned in the halls and on the ground as victims of a tornado and as you encountered an injured student you would practice the first aid you had been taught and learn how to help them and at the same time work with emergency personel. I thought it was very helpful although thankfully I never had to use the training in an actual emergency.

Everything has changed since 9/11. In the event of another catastrophic situation like that, each school has an emergency plan that transports the children to an undisclosed location. Much like a confidential military operation, no information is given to parents on where the location might be. I was told that they can't disclose that as I, or any other parent could be a terrorist. Beyond belief, yet true.

Yes my daughter has had her school on lock-down a couple of times. One time a teacher found a shot gun shell on the floor in the hallway. It was just in some kids backpack (he is a hunter) there was no danger. I can't remember the other reason it was locked down.

...and why wouldn't we want to allow properly screened and trained members of the teaching and support staff to have concealed weapons either on their person or in bio-metrically keyed lock boxes secured to the underside of their desks?

In our troubled times, wishful thinking thinking needs to be replaced with realistic plans.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I personally do not think teachers and various other support staff carrying concealed weapons is the answer to the problems. That's heading in the wrong direction, just as taking God out of the school curriculum was.

Mine are still in elementary school and they haven't done it yet. I think it is wise to teach them not only fire and tornado drills, which they do, but what to do in a situation where they need to lock down the school. I would be mad if they didn't send something home though so I could prepare my kids.