Thread: Lucky video shot today

Lucky video shot today

I knew there are pileated woodpeckers around, but have never had a clear video shot at one before today. It was hard to decide whether to grab the video or the still camera! YouTube - Pileated Woodpecker at Eagle's Landing, Wallace River, Nova Scotia Canada April 14, 2010
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

Great video

I've never seen a pileated, that's great video!

That's great! We have a family of Pileated around here and we see them in the back yard quite often. I think they are beautiful birds and I always feel lucky to see them. I never thought to take video of them!

Wow that is really cool! I have never seen a bird like that before. How close were you cause you didn't seem to be disturbing him in the least?

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Wow that is really cool! I have never seen a bird like that before. How close were you cause you didn't seem to be disturbing him in the least?
    I was on my deck, maybe 150 feet away. I had to be real quiet when i came outside through the screen door so it didn't slam and scare him off.
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

We have those wood peckers here around our area in south central Oklahoma. We see them in the backyard or flying by once in a while. I have always thought this was the "model" for Woody the Woodpecker of cartoon fame. They usually look like they are having a perpetual bad hair day.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I've heard the same Woody Woodpecker reference, Pat, it must be true! Nice to see you around, haven't heard much from you lately
    Ian M.

This is a great video! We live in the northern part of Virginia, in the Shenadoah Valley and we always see these guys. They can get pretty large and do some serious damage to trees. I've seen them dig out holes 12inches high and at least 6 inches deep.