Thread: Asparagus

Asparagus

I'm at my wit's end. I cannot find any asparagus plants this year! We have two that are now two years old but wanted to plant about 20 this year. No local nurseries have any this year. Is there a good source online? I'm tired of searching!

Where are you located? Here in N. Texas, I've seen crowns for sale at Tractor Supply and at a local nursery where we buy flowers and vegetable plants every year. My local feedstore/farm store also has them. It's late to be planting crowns here, but some are still available because our normal planting season was too wet.

I'm in Virginia. I don't understand what is going on this year. I bought the few we have on a whim a few years ago and they've just started producing. But we need a lot more to feed our family and make it worth it! It's very strange that asparagus has all but disappeared!

We used to have a neighbor whose sister would come to visit from the State of Washington. The sister was a school teacher with a boyfriend who was an asparagus farmer. So she brought regular canned asparagus and pickled asparagus when she came to visit. But it appears that all the asparagus I see in the stores is imported now. In fact, I have a big jar of "Marinated Green Asparagus" that I recently bought at Sam's Club to see what it was like and I just now noticed on the label "Imported from Peru". It's actually pickled asparagus; not bad, but not good enough to buy anymore either.

I've seen them here in NY at the local green houses. Have you checked there in Virginia? I don't know about buying them on the internet. I haven't ever bought any seeds or plants on the internet. Have you tried to google it to see what comes up?

I have checked all of the local nurseries and green houses and super stores. Nothing. BUT good news! My husband spoke with a friend who has a huge plot of asparagus and he passed on the internet source where he purchased his. We ordered 25 plants over the weekend. I hope they are delivered by the end of the week. They won't produce this year but we'll be ready next year!

I'd love to plant asparagus. We have seeds in our local stores, but I've heard they're really hard to keep. You can't eat the first growing? Sounds like a lot of work.