Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick cats

Sick cats

My cat fattycat has some problems. He has something wrong with his urinary tract and he gets crystals. He is on a special food right now. He can only eat what we buy at the vet or he gets crystals and then he cannot go to the bathroom.
    He was in the animal hospital for 5 nights about 6 months ago. He had to have a catheter placed in to release the urine. Poor kittie! We take great care of him, and so far so good with the special food.
    Anyone have a sick pet?

Oh goodness. A catheter must be so foreign to an animal. I hope he feels better soon. We don't have any cats but I had them growing up and I loved them all very dearly. Good luck!

That is awful! I'm so sorry for your kitty! I'm glad that you took him to the hospital though. Are animals are all healthy and can just eat regular food from any store. How expensive is the cat food from the Vets? I bet the trip in the hospital was no cheap date either.

Well for a 15 pound bag it's $57, but it's better than the 4.5 pound bag we were getting for $27. The Vet visit (animal hospital) was $350 and every time we take him to get his urine checked it's another $41. He is so worth it though. I imagine it was a foreign feeling for him, but he was relieved! He would jump in and out of the litter box and could not go, then lick himself. He was in some bad pain!

I am glad you took your kitty to the hospital. My cat had the same thing and had to go on antibiotics. She was in a lot of pain also. I hope she never has to go through that again.

My cat had the same exact problem- twice. My recommendation is to stick to the strict diet the vet recommends. It was when we took the cat off the diet food that the crystals came back. Treats every once in a while are fine but something in the other type of food was triggering crystals. It was so painful to watch him go back and forth to the litter box, so confused about what was happening. I'm glad your your kitty is okay now!

It was so sad and heartbreaking to see him go back and forth. I don't think I slept much that night at all. It was a Sunday night when it started! I won't take him off the special diet. I love the Fat cat... his name is fattycat! I don't mind paying that for the food as long as he stays healthy. He gets mad that he can't have milk or tuna anymore.

He can't have tuna every once in awhile? Poor guy! When my kitty was sick with it, she became really bloated because she wasn't going to the bathroom normally. She was only going a little drop at a time. It was sad.

All over the USA and plan overseas when I retire
    Is there any chance your vet suggested getting foods that were low in the ash content? We had something similar happen with my better half's kitty from the teen and early adult years. The cat ended up being on that same diet until "old age".

My cat is very sensitive to the issue but we still occasionally give him treats, like tuna and store bought treats. They are fine for occasional snacks for him and don't seem to cause any problems. Maybe your vet can recommend treats for him that won't hurt him?