Thread: pumpkins

pumpkins

This will be my 3rd year planting pumpkins. My last 2 years have been horrible. My first year the plants grew nice and big and I even had flowers, but I didn't get any pumpkins. Last year I had little plants but that is as far as they grew.

Is there a trick to growing pumpkins?

I don't know any tricks but I can commiserate! We grew them a few years in a row and every year the same thing happened - they would grow bigger and bigger and then at the end of July start to turn orange. This was way too early for them to turn. By the end of August they were mushy. I gave up and will not be planting any this year.

Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

Been there and done that! Pumpkins are hard to grow, or at least they are for me. We have tried to grow them too and they never get really big. You need to plant them somewhere that they have a lot of room to grow and spread out. They also need a lot of sunlight to get ripe.

I am going to try again this year. If they don't work this year, I may just have to give up. I am wondering if maybe the soil here isn't good enough. I have to try and learn some pumpkin growing tips.

All over the USA and plan overseas when I retire
    I remember we tried this back when I was younger and I mean still had a curfew younger. I am not sure if this is the hardest thing to plant but its darn close. We spent hours trying to plan it so that nothing could go wrong, years later we still have no idea what did and I refuse to try it again. I have yet to met anyone that has successfully had a patch.

Maybe it was beginner's luck but we had a very good crop. I did find that if they were left in the sun, they went to mush. They needed lots and lots of room even taking over other plants.
    We only started with 5 seeds but had enough pumpkins that we were able to sell some. We'll see if it was beginner's luck.