Thread: Summer salads

Summer salads

It is almost cook out/ camping time. I love to have some kind of pasta salad or toss salad during the summer. Salads that are really easy to make and you can just have with hot dogs or hamburgers. Do you have a recipe for a good summer salad?

I am not the chef of the family but my boyfriend makes a lot of really nice salads for picnics. Pasta salad is so symbolic of summer to me. I would love to find some more recipes to share with him though because he really enjoys making things like this.

I have two favorite pasta salad recipes. The first I prefer macaroni elbows but any small pasta works. We just cook a pound of pasta, drain and chill. Add a chopped cucumber and a can of sliced black olives. Mix with mayo and season with a bit of garlic and basil. The second is even easier. Cook and chill a pound of any small pasta. Chop two or three tomatoes in and a cucumber or two. Add a few green olives and a few black olives, if you like. Add in any veggies you like, like some broccoli florets or julienned zucchini. Toss with enough Italian dressing to coat.

Both of those sound really great goodgolly! We eat tons of fresh salads and veggies in the summer so I will have to give both of these a try soon.

I'm not a big fan of black olives so I always leave those out of my pasta salads. I like to make pasta salad with spaghetti and I add in whatever vegetables I have at the time, usually carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, and a little bit of onion or some green onions. I like to add cubes of cheese to mine too, usually provolone or mozzarella. Then I just pour plenty of Italian dressing over it all and toss!