Thread: Buy it or build it

All over the USA and plan overseas when I retire

Buy it or build it

That is our current question. We need a smaller outside area shed close to the home that is not at the other end of the yard (our private yard that is) to store things in. With the long haul is it going to be better to build one or just buy it flat out?

I guess that would depend on your personal preferences, your time constraints (if you have any), and how handy you are. My husband would never consider buying or paying someone else to do the work, but he also many years of contracting experience so it just makes sense. That said, sometimes we have to wait longer for things to get done because of his outside obligations. You'll save money building it yourself, but if you need it right now and you don't have the time I would consider buying one.

Can you build it and build something that will be a sound shed? If so then why not just build it yourself. I bet it will be cheaper and it will be just how you want it. If you don't think you can make it, then it's best to buy it.

We built a horse shed ourselves for about 25% of the cost of a pre-built. It is not as fancy, for sure, but it was fun. I feel good about trying, not being very handy myself. There are so many good plans on the web. I was surprised how easy it was.

If you have the ability, the capability and skill to do it by yourself, it would be cheaper and you would have more confidence on how strong the construction is.

Have you ever looked closely at the buildings being sold by Lowes, Home Depot and the like? Once you do and you see the materials used and the shoddy assembly, you will opt to build one yourself.
    AbO 2012

I can only speak for myself, of course, but I would much rather put money into top quality material and do the work myself. To pay someone else runs two to three times the cost of materials. I say be patient and do it.

I'm not that handy with a saw, so I purchased one about 3 months back. It's one of those rent-to-own type of deals, which was the only thing I could afford at the time. I have 9 more months to pay on it, and then it's mine. It's a 12x20 with a loft, where I store Christmas decorations. Everything else is stored on the bottom level. It works out well.