Thread: Does anybody sew anymore?

Does anybody sew anymore?

I would really love to learn how to sew so I could make some of my little girl's clothes but I can't find anyone that knows how! Do any of you guys still sew?

Oddly enough, I enjoy crocheting and knitting but hate sewing with a passion. My mom used to make a lot of our clothes when I was growing up but I just never have gotten the knack of it. The only reason I want to learn now is to be able to quilt. I make designs for other people to use and never have made one myself.

I think home sewing is soon to be a thing of the past. My mother made all her clothes, my sisters' clothes, and our shirts when I was a kid. I still remember the first time I bought a "ready made" shirt. I was 15 years old at the time. My wife was living with an aunt and uncle when I met her, and her aunt sewed, even making evening gowns and pretty heavy coats. So when we got married, I bought a really good sewing machine. That was money wasted. We still have a sewing machine. I used it to make a new seat for a wood and fabric folking chair about 4 years ago and I guess that's the only time it's been used in the last 20 years or so.

I really want to learn how to sew. I know how to crochet and knit, though I wouldn't say I am any good. Sewing would be a great skill to have but it seems very difficult to try to learn without somebody to help you. It really doesn't seem like a lot of people know how to do it anymore.

Well at least now I know it's not just me Bookworm! I guess I'll have to try and find some youtube videos or something. If I find something good I'll post it here.

I sew, and I love it. I make quilts and some other things. I don't make clothing or anything like that. My mom taught me how to sew and her mom (my grandma) taught my mom how to sew. I taught my daughter too and so did my mom. It's a lot of fun!

I just started sewing again...my grandma taught me how in elementary school and sewed until I was in high school, but didn't take the time to do much in my 20s. I'm 30 now and just getting back into it, and I've been surprised how much the fabric and thread selection has dwindled in some stores. Eventually I want to start making sewn items for my Etsy shop. What I want to know is if I'm the only one who embroiders by hand any more

I don't know anyone who does embroidering without a machine anymore. I have heard a few people complain about how hard it is to find fabric and thread now. I wonder if you could find somewhere online. Even the selection at craft stores like JoAnn seem to be dwindling.

All over the USA and plan overseas when I retire
    I have a pair of pants that I need to work on this weekend. I love when you buy a good pair of pants but the work for either the buttons or the hem (or both) are shoddy, then you get to redo the work that you have already paid for.