Thread: Going back to school

Going back to school

I am thinking about going back to school to become an RN. I am really nervous because it is not like I am as young as a traditional college student.

At what age did you go to college?

I went one semester right out of high school, then at the age of 26 started taking a course here and there when I could work it into my schedule; not for a degree, but just information I was interested in. But then I finally got my BS degree when I was 35. My younger daughter got her BS degree when she was 38, and her busband, who retired a couple of years ago from 20 years active duty in the Navy expects to finish his degree next year when he'll be 42. There's really nothing unusual about even older people going back to school. You can do it and will probably enjoy it. Good luck and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally View Post
    I am thinking about going back to school to become an RN. I am really nervous because it is not like I am as young as a traditional college student.

At what age did you go to college?
    I went right out of High School, as did my wife (who has a BS-RN) and 3 daughters. Only negative comment I have about "going back to school" would be to consider the "return on investment". My wife looked into going for a "nurse practicioner" a few years ago, but when we did the math (her age, cost of education, time to get the degree, expected increase in pay, etc) it just didn't make sense to do it in her 50's, from an economic standpoint. 10-20 yrs ago, that would have been a different story (but I don't even know if there was such a program that far back).

But in general, furthering your education at any age (which you did not specify yours) is not a bad thing. Plus, it sounds like this would be a "career" decision for you and considering the state of our economy and what segements are likely to do well in the future, health care and nursing are good fields to go into.

Each situation is different and I know a couple of guys who are going back for Masters in their 50's with an eye on teaching college as they get close to or when they're in retirement.

My SIL got her college degree in her 30's and then a law degree in her early 50s.

If anything, you will have an advantage over a lot of "fresh out of HS" students because you will probably be more mature and motivated to succeed. Anyway, good luck.

Go for it Ally! I went to school for my RN ASN right out of high school (18) and the majority of people in my courses were a good bit older(25-45) than I was. I am sure you will find many peers in your classes.

Good post….thanks for sharing.. very useful for me i will bookmark this for my future needs.
    thanks for a great source.

seo services