Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backyard firepits

Backyard firepits

We built a big old firepit in the back corner of our yard and host a lot of bonfire parties in the summers. Nothing like roasting wienies and toasting marshmallows after a good day of fishing. Heck, when it's been a great day, sometimes we cook some fish, too. We just used rocks that we dug out when clearing a field a couple years ago.

I would love to have a firepit in the backyard but we really don't have the room for one. I may have to content myself with one of those little outdoor fireplaces instead.

We had a fire pit out back too, but now they have passed a law that you cannot have any open fires outside. So there goes the fire pit and bonfires. It's crazy I think- we have always had many bonfires and they have always been fine.

We had one at our other house in a subdivision but oddly enough now that we live in a rural area we don't. I guess we're backwards. lol I'd love to have a nice one with a patio around it so we would use it more regularly.

Is it better to build one yourself or to buy one? I see some of the places that sell smaller fire pits, almost like they could sit on top of your table. It just seems a little unsafe for my tastes, is that why you made your own?

I was curious about which is easier too, Camilles. The smaller ones you can buy make me nervous too. I'd love to have a nice backyard fire pit for backyard camping though, and I love s'mores and roasting hot dogs! How hard is it to make a small one on your own?

If you have the room for it, I would just recommend digging a small area out and putting some sand in maybe or it may be fine if you just dig enough that there is no more grass. I would dig just enough for how big you want your fire and then find some decent sized rocks to place around it. Then throw some wood in and start a fire. That's how we always did it. Pull up some chairs and get the marshmallows ready!

Backyard Fire Pits an Essential Feature for the Outdoor Living Room

Nowadays the backyard fire pit is more than a hole in the ground. Designs are not only modern but sophisticated and yet very affordable for the average person. Their popularity has increased tremendously especially within the last two years as we are now making our backyards into outdoor living rooms.

Safety of course is primary. First off, check your local city bylaws if you are even considering one to see what the restrictions and safety precautions you need to take. There are minimum distances required from the house and from trees. Next up, decide on the size and design features based on what is best suited for your needs and will enhance your home as well as the surrounding landscape. Are you just needing the warmth or ambience and are you cooking a few marshmellows as well? If you have a small yard, chimeneas are great as they are not as open and will keep the fire more contained.

Make sure you read the manufacturer's specifications as to how to use them as well, believe it or not this often gets overlooked!
    Karen Ho Fatt
    Publisher
    http://www.familyfirepit.com

We are actually planning on doing this next summer when the weather is better and more appropriate. I think it's going to really create a new experience for us in our backyard paradise.

We have long considered this but don't believe that we really have the right setting for one. I do believe that it is something that we would enjoy and create good memories with, should we ever decide to give it a try.