Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hanging clothes outside

Hanging clothes outside

I love to hang my clothes outside to dry. They always smell so nice when you bring them inside. Not to mention it saves on my electricity because my dryer isn't running constantly.

Do you hang your clothes out to dry?

I wish I could. But my kids have pretty rough allergies and putting clothes outside only adds to it. Plus for me it's easier to throw them in the dryer.

I grew up with a clothesline though so I remember doing it as a kid!

That is to bad about your kids and their allergies.

It is sometimes easier for me to throw my clothes in the dryer as well, but for the most part (other than the winter), I hang them outside. My favorite is to hang sheets and blankets out there. I love to climb into nice clothes line dried sheets.

I love the smell of line dried clothes. I also have terrible allergies but since they bother me no matter what I do, I just decided to enjoy the smell. I don't hang my towels, though. They're just so scratchy and stiff when I line dry them. I know, I'm spoiled but I do toss those in the dryer.

I always hang most of our laundry on the line but this thread got me to thinking I wonder if that's why my daughter is sneezing more? Maybe I'll start throwing her stuff in the dryer and see what happens.

I can sure recall the smell of line dried sheets! That is good stuff. We have no line and haven't for 5-6 years. I'm not agin' 'em but no request from wife. I do improvise a line once a year when I treat our clothes for ticks and want the "smell" outside till it dissipates.

I can also recall my mom in the winter hanging clothes on the line (we had no "dryer") when we lived in NW Ohio (Lima.) The sheets would freeze stiff as a board and likewise our clothes. Ahh... the good old days.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Yep, Pat, I can well remember my family before the days of clothes dryer ownership and the sheets weren't hte only thing frozen, or nearly frozen. Wearing gloves to hang wet laundry just was not practical, but with nearly frozen fingers, you didn't waste any more time out there than you had to. Our first house (1968) had a washer connection in the kitchen so we bought a washing machine, but no dryer connection; just clothes lines in the backyard. But we haven't had clothes lines since 1971.

All over the USA and plan overseas when I retire
    If I can I will but right now we need to redo the line and also get some more yard work together. I am down for trying to save rather than waste electricity and I really wish some of my family would come to turns with that too.

I love clothes hung outdoors. I remember being a newly married man and helping my wife by hanging out the laundry for her. It smells so good-especially sheets and pillowcases. It just feels so good to slide into that newly made bed with it smelling so fresh.

Like the others, I remember it as a kid. But then, my mom and grandmothers were "stay-at-home" with more time than money. Nowadays, our lives are ruled by efficiencies of time rather than efficiencies of energy. (Seems like the "green" movement is trying to reverse this). Plus,many subdivision association bylaws and deed restrictions BAN clotheslines in the yard.

With many houselhold having both spouses working, the time it takes to walk the clothes outside and hang them, then bring them in, isn't worth the savings in electricity or gas for many.

When both my wife and I get home from work, we're grabbing stuff out of the freezer to make in the microwave or on the stovetop that can be ready in 15-30 minutes. During this time, we're changing clothes, checking answering machine, reading the mail (both postal and online) and also getting a load into the washing machine. Multi-tasking to the max, and the thought of adding a half hour for drying of laundry outside would get a roll of the eyes from my wife. LOL.